I am confused

Hello people,
I am already working as an Accounting Analyst at a firm, but I was always passionate about flying an airplane. I am still debating if I should pursue a career or not and that is the reason why I wanted to join. I had few questions:

1. What is the total duration of the course?
  2. How much is the fees of the course if I wanted to just pursue as my passion and not a profession?
  3. Can I go for a trial session for free?

Shriya,

Welcome to the forum, let’s get to your questions:

1. ATP’s course is seven months long if you are in the full time, Fast Track program. The Flex Track program can be stretched out to eighteen months. You can read more about the Airline Career Pilot Program here: Airline Career Pilot Program / ATP Flight School

2. If you desire to fly for fun and not a career, then ATP is not the school for you. I would recommend visiting your local, small airport, and speaking to the flight school there about obtaining just your Private Pilot license. I would also strongly recommend that you get your instrument rating as well.

3. ATP offers introductory flights for $195. If you apply and qualify for financing, they will provide you with a free introductory flight: Introductory Training Flight / ATP Flight School

Chris

Shriya,

It sounds like you simply want to do some flying, which is fine. The minimum license requirement to do that is a PPL (Private Pilot license). I’ll answer your questions based on that understanding:

1. The FAA minimum to earn your PPL 40hrs of flight time. You’ll also need to pass a written exam which you can study for with a test prep or take classes. The average time for most people is actually closer to 60hrs. So to answer your question it depends on how often you fly? Divide 60hrs by how many you’ll fly per week and that will give you an approximate time frame.

2. That number can vary widely based on your location and the airplane you choose to train in. If you’re away from major cities you can find schools teaching in really basic airplanes for as little as $150hr. In more expensive areas and with more advanced planes you’ll be over $300hr. Find the local rate and times it by 60 and you’ll have a pretty good idea.

3. I’ve been flying a long time and I have never heard of any school doing a free Intro flight, ever (other than for some complete programs like ATP). Most however do offer them for anywhere from $150-200.

Adam