What’s next after high school?

Hey Guys,
I’m currently a Junior is high school, extremely interested in aviation and have a goal for the majors. I will graduate high school with an associate degree, however I’m lost on what my next step will be. Aviation College Programs are costly and overall not something that seems efficient. I could knock those flight hours and training first however as we know majors prefer 4yr degrees.

You are young enough to go finish your degree. Choose something that will interest you outside of aviation just incase. Once you enjoy your college experience, look at ATP or a similar program. Do some searching on this site because there have been several of these same questions. All the mentors here will tell you the same thing.

Julianna,

Joshua is right. While we appreciate your enthusiasm and eagerness to progress in aviation, you really should complete your education first. You’re correct aviation universities are expensive and inefficient, but at 17 there are many reasons you could decide to pivot in a different direction and it’s always a good idea to have a backup.

You could bang out a BA/BS in short order and then dive full time into flight training and building your time and experience. This would also serve to give you some time to see who emerges on top after the recovery.

Adam

Julianna,

Best thing you can do right now is finish your four-year degree before starting flight training. You will have already set yourself up VERY WELL by having your associates completed upon graduating high school.

I wouldn’t think twice about it. Finish your degree immediately after high school while you are still in “school mode.”

Tory

Julianna,

As the others have said, focusing on school, getting good grades, and getting that college degree should be your top priority. We love to see aviation enthusiasts like yourself and have the determination to become a pilot. Growing up I wanted to get my pilots license, it didn’t happened until the nearing of my graduation date for college. I’m glad I waited because it opened up so many opportunities and the path that I took worked out pretty darn well. Our Pilot Mentors are not big fans of the Aviation Universities; for example, it may take 2 years just to earn your Private Pilot license, where at ATP Flight School, it takes just months…and the rest of the program takes months as well, which puts you at a better chance of seniority then the graduates of the Aviation Universities.

Having the college degree is not only a requirement for the Majors, but offers you a backup plan should something happen to your aviation career. It’s also nice to make friends and network during college because you never know who you might run into or need for a reference.

Brady