After Senior High School

Hi there ! My name is Jameson Sena , im 18 years of age , and this is my last year in senior high school. I have been really really interested on becoming a Commercial Pilot. So now im at the stage where im confused and dont know where to start after senior h.s . Do i go to a flight school already or i should go to a university first where i can get my degree before i go to a flight school? I really need help on knowing what to do on the next step after s.h.s. I want to know also what to expect on my way to being a pilot :slight_smile: i really appreciate who can send me a accurate answer!

Thank you!

Jameson,

We always recommend college first. To advance to a Major airline you will need a degree and life changes and it’s always good to have a back up. Flight school can come after. Go to school, do well, get your degree THEN start flight training.

Adam

Thank you for that wonderful advice! I could take aeronautical engineer in my college right, is that okay to get my degree on that program?

Honestly Jameson the airlines don’t really care what you study so long as you get that 4yr degree. If you want to focus all your attention on aviation and aeronautics that’s fine but if you have other interests, a “Plan B” or maybe just think you might want to go another way that’s fine as well.

Adam

Jameson,

I strongly recommend that you go straight to college and obtain a four year degree, then go to an accelerated flight school. It really doesn’t matter what you major in. In fact, I would pick something other than aviation so you have a more diversified educational background.

It is just easier for students to continue straight through to college than it is to go to flight school and then try to circle back on colleges. I am not a fan of the aviation universities because they can be so incredibly expensive.

Chris

Thank you for the great advice sir adam & sir chris ! I will keep this all in mind thanks! :slight_smile:️:slight_smile:️

I did aerospace engineering Before I started ATP. I feel like it was a good choice because i can have a good paying job that I will enjoy if something ever happens making me unable to fly. With that degree you open up countless jobs in tons of different fields!

Kamrin,

Hi there , so basically i will be starting my college by June this year, i will be taking aeronautical engineering for my course. Tell me if this plan will do for me

Apparently im planning after college to enter a cadetship program in one of our local airlines in the philippines which is Cebu Pacific. The thing is im not 100% sure if ill make it to the program , cause their program is 5 years, starting this year. And my course would take 5 years im not sure yet. So if ever i dont make it in time for that program, my plan b is to enroll in ATP Flight school and earn my PPL and CPL. With the International Airline Career Pilot Program for 9 months. And when i get my license and have 255 hrs in my flight logged book, i can work for the mean time and earn so that i could pay for my flying hours till i get it to the required hours of being a first officer.

Please let me know if this plan will do
Thankyou!

Jameson

Jameson,

I have no knowledge how the Cebu cadet program works but I do know many of the foreign airline cadet programs are excellent. As far as your Plan B, I also don’t what kind of jobs there are in the Philippines for low time pilots but to work in the US you will need either citizenship or permanent resident status.

Adam

1 Like

My Plan B is to get my PPL & CPL in the US in that 9 months only with a student visa , then i will return to the Philippines and work there maybe as a maintenance engineer (since i got my degree already) and earn money and ill continue to get my flying hours in a local flight school (OMNI FLIGHT SCHOOL) in Clark Pampanga, Philippines. And when i get my required hours , ill apply in a foreign airline which i believe is better? Correct?

Jameson

Jameson,

Sounds like a solid plan.

Adam

Adam,

If I’m 19 turning 20 this year, do you think it’s too early to start my training at ATP? I will be graduating with an associates in business management and have a dying desire to fly for my career. Not really interested in a 4 year degree but will obtain one if necessesary. My two questions are: 1. What are some good ways to heighten my chances to get on at a major ? 2. When would be a good age/time for me to start my ATP training ?

Thank you,
Demetrius

Demetrius,

Anyone with a passion to fly, can obtain financing, a first class medical, and at least 2 years of college experience or equivalent work experience can enroll in ATP’s program. I don’t think you’re too young. I would encourage you to take an intro flight first though. If you’ve never flown a small plane before, go fly one before you make the commitment. It’s a good way to help solidify your decision.

If you’re already in college, we recommend finishing your 4 year degree. It’s just easier that way. You certainly don’t have to though. You can postpone your 4 year degree until you’re at a regional and finish it online. Up to you.

The majors like to see experience, especially PIC experience in part 121 and 135 operations. They are also attracted to pilots that do community service. For you, you have a long way to go. So, if you’re going to do this, focus on becoming a safe and proficient pilot. Study hard and keep your record clean. This career takes patience and perseverance. One step at a time. There’s not a whole lot else you can do right now until you have the experience that the majors are looking for.

Tory

1 Like

Demetrius,

The best thing you can do to improve your chances of getting to a major is to obtain your four year degree, without one you will be severely limiting your career potential.

I would recommend that you stay in college, finish your degree and then go to flight school. You are in school mode now and it is simply easier to stay in it. I find that when people start and stop, it is harder for them to actually finish the degree. I understand that you want to get up in the air as soon as possible, but I strongly feel that finishing college is the best path for you.

Chris

1 Like

Chris,

At this point in time is it real difficult to get on with the majors? I know now that It will be best to finish my degree and that is what I will do. I am just eager because I’ve always loved flying. Thank you for your insight !

Demetrius

Getting hired by a Major will never be seen as “easy.” It is highly competitive and isn’t something that’s handed to you. However, with the pilot shortage expected to continue for the next two decades, there hasn’t been a better time to get into the industry.

Tory

Demetrius,

Flying for a Major airline is the pinnacle of our industry. I’m not sure who you’ve been talking to but you’ve got 2 Major airline pilots and one Regional telling you that you’ll need a degree and no it’s not easy so you can believe what you like. I know many pilots who’ve been hired at Majors with degrees and very few without. EVERY MAJOR AIRLINE STATES IN BLACK AND WHITE THAT A 4YEAR DEGREE IS PREFERRED or COMPETITIVE. So my question for you is I’m interviewing you for a job at a Major, I have a stack of resumes all of which show 4yr degrees. Yours does not. You KNOW we prefer one but never bothered, so why should I hire you instead of EVERYONE ELSE WHO DOES?

Adam

I was never under the impression that it was ever easy I was just wondering exactly what I need to do because I want to get there.i also wanted to know what I needed to do to have a better advantage over all of my peers on the same journey as myself. I know it will be a grind and that is a risk I am willing to take. Thank you for your input though.

Demetrius Lewis

No you didn’t, my bad :slight_smile:

Adam

1 Like

Demetrius,

The majors are the absolute pinnacle of the aviation industry. Yes, it is hard to get on at the majors and it will continue to be so as the majors are very selective in who they chose.

Chris

1 Like