What steps should I take to become a commercial airline pilot?

Hello,

I have recently had an interest in becoming a commercial airline pilot and have been doing research on what steps I would have to take to in order to obtain my CPL. I have had found answers for many of my questions through other responses in the forum, but had a few more I was curious about. A little background is that I am 24 and have a B.S. in Biochemistry and am currently working as a formulation chemist. After working here for the past two years I have realized this isn’t something I would like to do for the rest of my life and being a commercial pilot has always been of some interest for me. I know that to fully know if this is something I would like to do I would need to actually get behind a plane and determine if this is something I enjoy doing, which leads me to my questions.

Since I already have a B.S. is there another degree that I would be required to obtain or do I just need to start gaining experience? My general idea of my next steps would be to obtain a PPL and start to log hours. From there I am a little confused on how to obtain a multiengine rating, airline transport license, and finally my commercial pilot license. Specifically if these licenses are based just off flight hours or is there exams and other things that are also required to be officially licensed.

Sorry if you have previously answered this, but I appreciate your time.

Thank you,
Carlton

Carlton,

The airlines don’t care what your degree is for they just want you to have one. You do, you’re good.

As for the process please visit our FAQ section. Btw the Commercial license comes before the ATP.

Adam

Carlton,

Your degree will be just fine for the airlines, there is no need for you to spend any more time in college.

There are a couple different paths you can take, which are spelled out in the FAQ section and on ATP’s website. Take a look at hose resources and then come back if you have further questions, please.

Chris