What to do before school?

Hi guys I’m in the final steps of signing up for ATP. Ive never flown a plane or gone to any sort of schooling so I’m starting from scratch. I was wondering if there is any sort of test or study materials you guys would recommend that i can get started on. I would love a head start because as all of you know this is a very fast course and i would love to start ahead of the curve!

Thanks guys

Have you checked the website?

https://atpflightschool.com/faqs/bring/items_for_acpp.html

Erick,

ATP requires students to have taken an introductory flight before signing up. It is one thing to think that you want to fly an airplane and quite another to actually do so. I recommend that you take an intro lesson before worrying about any books or study material.

Chris

Erick,

Sergey beat me to it but yes, check the link, that will give you plenty to do. You mention you’ve never flown a plane? An intro flight is required before you can register (https://atpflightschool.com/programs/intro-training-flight.html). ATP needs to know you won’t go up and get sick, freak out etc.

Adam

Thanks Chris once I get approved on my student loans I will get an introductory flight scheduled!

And Sergey I have looked at that page you sent me. I have a few of the books but none of the test or anything like that. You have to purchase all the test and quiz’s on Kings I thought.

Thanks for the responses I just wanted to know if there was a site or anything you guys would recommend that was free. I know pretty much nothing is though haha

Yeah thanks Adam once again they offer a free intro flight once you get approved for a student loan:)

Erick,

Save your money on books. ATP will provide you with everything you need. Getting your written tests out of the way before you show up would be a better use of your time. There’s info on how to go about it on ATP’s website and this forum. Don’t worry so much about learning the material. If you can’t help yourself then just stick to YouTube videos for now. You’ll learn everything you need to know once you start the program.

Tory

As Tory mentioned, you don’t need to purchase anything from that list of books. All will be provided. I originally misunderstood your comment about your final stages of signing up. I assumed you had completed the steps that ATP recommends prior to accepting the deposit and assigning a class date. For now, a first class medical, financing and an intro flight should be the priority. Once you have your date set and receive the training materials, you can start prepping for school by following steps on that FAQ page.

Can the intro flight be waived? I have 33 flight hours and the closest location is a few states away…

I already have the PPL book from going to a flight college 10 years ago… If I expect not to attend for another year or so, would it be beneficial for me to read through that book?

It appears that you guys are suggesting taking FAA exams without reading through any of the books. Is there other reading material to prepare for those test?

Thanks!

A bit confused here… you have 33 flight hours, but your first post says " Ive never flown a plane"

I am not the person who started this post. That was Erick Bermudez. I was just following up to something else mentioned in this thread

Doh my bad… I see that now.

Since you have 33 hours… I’m pretty sure you’ve already done the “intro flight”. As far as I understand that intro flight is for folks with zero time and to give people an idea of what they are getting into before plunking down $$$$.

Ray,

The intro flight is for people with zero time. If you have 33hrs you’re fine.

As for books ATP will provide you with ALL the required materials you’ll need for the entire program including all the written knowledge exams. Now a word about the writtens. There are 6 required but they were created by the FAA and really don’t follow any curriculum and also contain a fair amount of extraneous material. The majority of ATP students (and we recommend) find it beneficial to complete as many of the writtens as you can prior to beginning the program. All the study for them will be yours to do on your own and you’d be better off spending your time studying the material from that day. While not a requirement it will significantly lighten your load.

Adam

As always, it is up to the admissions department, but I expect they will waive the intro flight.

Studying is always beneficial, the older book should be fine.

When you sign up for ATP, they will give you access to King Schools and Sheppard Air exam preparation services. I would not start on this until you have signed up for the program.