What to look for at regional airline?

Hi,

I am currently instructing at a flight school in Minnesota and some of my fellow instructors are starting to interview at Regional airlines since they’re coming close to getting their hours. This has caused me to think a little bit about my own situation in the coming year or so. That said, this is a question for the airline guys on here, when would be a good time to start applying airlines and also what are some things I should be looking for in these regional airlines. For example, should I look for ones with signing bonuses, better pay, etc.

Thanks

Ethan,

I’m pretty sure all of the regionals are offering signing bonuses. They all have competitive pay rates too. You should focus on things like aircraft type, junior bases, upgrade time, and company culture. AirlinePilotCentral.com has most of that information.

Tory

Ethan,

First off due to the shortage ALL the Regionals have been forced to step up and they’re all pretty competitive with each other. As for what to look for that really depends on what’s most important to YOU. LOcation is obviously as biggy as commuting can be painful. Need money NOW then sure a big signing bonus is great. Doing ok then overall pay might be more important. Fancy a particular airplane, route structure (stay close or fly far), possible flow to their Major partner, etc etc. There is no right or wrong answer again it’s what’s most important to ETHAN.

As for when to apply, you’re instructing now, I’d start reaching out to the different Regionals and see what they’re offering. One might just sound better to you than others. If you see any Pilot job fairs in your area go and talk to their current employees. Most pilots are pretty honest and will tell you the pros and cons of their particular situation. Good thing is you have time so start doing your homework.

Adam

Also, as far as when to apply, that depends if the airline has a pilot development program/cadet program or not. Those that do accept applicants with less than 1500 hours. Those that don’t, require applicants to meet all of the requirements listed on their website before interviewing.

Tory