Where to begin?

I read through some the the frequently asked questions and took a look at a “week in the life”… I was looking to start a program and begin my pilot career as soon as possible.

My background: currently I’m self employed as a commercial real estate broker in CT. I am looking to pivot in my career to something I am more passionate about.

I have finances to cover schooling and look forward to leveraging my school with ATP to work for a major airline in my future as a pilot.

Please help me with next steps and where I should look to sign up.

Thank you in advance for your help, and I look forward to learning more

Best,
Ian Rawlinson
(203) 560-5548

Adam

Ian,

Adam posted where you can find information.

One question for you that I didn’t find here, do you have any flight experience? And we’re not talking about X-Plane or Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Brady

I have zero flight experience at this time. However, I’m looking to gain experience as soon as possible.

I will look at Adams post, thank you!

Please keep me updated on any next steps.

Best,

Ian,

Then you NEED to take a few Introductory Flights at either your local flight school and an Admissions Flight with ATP (if your goal is to attend at ATP). Flying is a different feeling and being in control of an airplane is different.

Brady

I will set up my introductory flight immediately and Danbury flight school and get back to you once I have completed it.

Thank you,

Does 30 minute introductory flight work? Or do I need more time like 1 hour+ on an intro flight?

Please advise,

Id highly recommend an hour becuase that time is measured by the hobbs meter, ie, the whole time the aircraft is powered up. Between checklists, taxiing out and back in and other misc things, a half hour is only gonna leave you 10, maybe 15 min of flight, enough for a couple laps of the pattern.
You want to actually have some time to fly, to take the controls yourself, so some climbs, descends, turns, etc. maybe fly to a local landmark and see it from the air. An hour flight will give you more like 40-45 min in the air, much more time to experience a small plane

Understood. I’ll book the full hour. Once I’ve completed my flight next week I will follow up for more.

Thank you again for your help in this.

Best,

Ian,

The link I posted shows the entire enrollment process. What other next steps are you looking for?

Adam

Ian,

I’d book at least an hour, and a few extra if you’ve never been in a small plane before. Make sure if they have a logbook or something to spend the $9 and log the hours… they count towards the 1,500.

THE ONLY reason I would ever consider a 30-minute “discovery flight” is at an airport show and they’re offering rides in a P-51 Mustang.

Also, if you’re speaking Danbury, as in Danbury, CT. Don’t rule out ATP, ATP has a location in Hartford. I would recommend doing an Admissions Flight (aka Introductory Flight) with ATP.

Brady

I did already book in Danbury; however, I will look into switching my introductory flight to Hartford tomorrow. It would be nice to keep all my knowledge in house at one location to start.

Thank you for the recommendation.

Ian,

I don’t think you get it… I’m saying book multiple Introductory Flights at a few flight schools to make SURE you really want to become a pilot. Flying is not for everyone and until you get a few introductory lessons to feel it out, you won’t know.

Keep the Danbury intro, book another with ATP.

Brady