Working at ATP

If I didn’t attend ATP, is it possible to work there as a CFI?

LaMorris

LaMorris,

Soooo let me see if I understand this correctly, you want to do your training elsewhere but want to know if afterwards ATP will take one of their GUARANTEED instructor slots away from one of their students who’s been through, is familiar with and successfully completed, ATP’s training program (not to mention paid $70K) and give it to you? Is that correct?

Adam

That’s correct El Capitan (Although I feel like I know where this is going).

LaMorris

Pretty sure you do. So are you still asking? Really? REALLY? Maybe I need to work harder on my sarcasm? :slight_smile:

Adam

LaMorris,

I just opened the morning paper and a flyer from Burger King fell out. It inspired me and I think I have a good analogy to help with your question (I’m excited!). In the flyer there’s a coupon for free med. fries and a drink with the purchase of a Whopper. Now, do you think if I went to McDonald’s, bought a Big Mac and then went to Burger King and showed them my Big Mac they’d give me the free fries and a drink with the coupon?

Better?

Adam

1 Like

I highly doubt it El Capitan :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

LaMorris,

ATP almost never hires CFIs that did their training elsewhere. Think about it, why would they do so when they have a steady stream of newly minted CFIs trained to their exact standards?

Chris

1 Like

With all due respect gents, this is published under the ATP job openings on the website.

Flight Instructor - Nationwide
Flight Instructor
Flight Instructor Jobs

ATP Needs Multi-Engine Flight Instructors at all of its Nationwide Locations.
ATP offers one of the most desired flight instructor jobs in the country, where you can earn up to $42,000 annually with airline tuition reimbursement and build multi-engine experience faster than anywhere else.

Flight Instructor Pay

ATP instructors are some of the highest paid in the industry, earning up to $42,000 annually with airline tuition reimbursement.

During CFI SE and CFII training in Jacksonville, FL or Phoenix, AZ:
$1,500 per Month Retainer
Free Housing
While at your assigned Training Center:
$1,000 per Month Ground School Guarantee
$7.50 to $20 per Flight Hour – the more you fly the more you earn
$7.50 to $12.50 per FTD Hour (varies with program)
$50 per Introductory Training Flight
$15 per FAA Exam Proctored
$5 per Flight Hour in Airline Tuition Reimbursement
Housing for $350 per Month (furnished, no lease required)
Weekends Off

The More You Fly, The More You Earn

ATP offers more flying than any other academy, college, or small FBO, allowing you to meet your career objectives quicker than anywhere else. As an ATP flight instructor the more you fly, the more you will earn, with an increasing flight hour rate based on how much you fly.

In addition to a $1,000 per month ground school guarantee and other rates for FTD hours, evaluations, exam proctoring, introductory training flights, and FAAST seminars, the hourly pay rate per flight hour increases with the number of hours flown that month.

Certification & Flight Time Minimums

ATP requires CFIs to meet the following certification and flight experience minimums:

Certified Flight Instructor (CFI)
Multi-Engine Instructor (MEI) Rating
Instrument Instructor (II) Ratings
Current FAA First Class Medical Certificate
50 Hours Multi-Engine PIC (PA-44 Preferred)
35 Hours Multi-Engine Cross-Country PIC

Apply

Please email your resume to jobs@allatps.com or follow the instructions.

My bad. The pilot shortage strikes again. That said it doesn’t mean that they’ll be doing it 2 mos or 2 years from now so I wouldn’t count on it as far as formulating a plan. Oh and btw, I don’t know too many random CFIs out there with 50hrs ME time.

Adamn

:eyes:

I get the mentors are trying to tow the company line here…but hiring CFI’s trained outside your organization can be a really good thing. I have been a pilot 15 years, CFI for 12 years and flown professionally 14 years. I can say without a doubt training programs have greater success through diversity. I have seen really good and bad habits displayed from pilot graduates of ATP, Riddle, UND, OU, SIU, Military etc. None of these programs would survive if they did not hire instructors trained else every now and then. Without that diversity, overtime you get more of the bad then good. Just my .5 cents.

Mark,

You may have your beliefs on this, but ATP believes very strongly on hiring from within and that is what they do.

Chris

Mark,

As Chris said you can believe as you like but no one here is towing any line. The ATP program is accelerated and unique to ATP. First do you not think someone who successfully completed the training AT ATP would be better acquainted with the program and second should ATP not reward and take care of their own first?

BTW, If you genuinely want to give input or perspective it might be taken more seriously if didn’t start your rhetoric with the an insult. Just makes you sound bitter.

Adam

Not trying to insult maybe sarcastic should not have said that, I apologize. Obviously the school is changing the way they do business if they are posting this below. Hard to get that experience right out the chute. I would have said to answer the initial question: yes they on occasion do if you are an experienced CFI and that is you niche, as opposed to the sarcasm. This is not indicative of the times, most ATP and other big name school graduates want to go to the airlines fast, not all want to be career CFI’s. That’s not a bad thing, don’t get me wrong. And to meet part 61 requirements, in that kind of environment you have to go outside the walls every now and then.

Two-Year CFI - GKY Airport
Flight Instructor
Arlington, TX, USA
Two-Year CFI Position Available
Dallas (at Arlington), TX

ATP is seeking a two-year CFI to provide ground and flight instruction to CFI certificate applicants at ATP’s Dallas (at Arlington) Flight Training Center.

Qualifications

2-Year Instructor holding current CFI, CFII & MEI ratings
200+ Hours Dual Given
Current FAA First Class Medical Certificate

Responsibilities

Provide classroom-style ground instruction to initial CFI Certificate applicants.
Provide flight training to each applicant, with the assistance of other instructors.
Providing a high level of customer service to all ATP customers.

Pay

Approximately $42,000-$48,000 annually:
$3,500 per month
plus $7.50 per flight hour
Weekends Off
Housing Available at Training Centers
for $350 per Month (furnished, no lease required)

Apply

Please email your resume to jobs@allatps.com or follow the instructions to apply online.

Mark,

That position is for somebody who has already been a CFI for two years. Most ATP CFIs are at an airline by that time.

Chris

On the same note… roughly how many students who complete the ACCP program stay for the usual CFI term of ~12-14 months? I’ve known a few who have decided to pursue other ways of building their hours (though none were as fast as sticking with ATP). Just curious.

TX,

I do not know a specific number, but I would say that the vast majority of students stay on as CFIs. As you said, it is by far the most efficient path.

Chris

Hey Guys,

Long time no talk. Getting closer to having the money put away and set up to be able to commit what is needed for ATP. Chris hope all is well over at UA and Adam hope you got back to the B717 I know you were looking at going back and just enjoying the day trips.

Question on this topic. Do you know what a “typical” CFI schedule is like at ATP like # of students under at any given moments, typical hours of dual given (I know 8 in 24 is max),

Sorry if it’s been answered already but I’ve been out of the site for a while.

#AmITooOldToStart

Tom,

While typical can vary greatly the average seems to be about 70-75hrs a month. Highest I’ve been hearing is 100, lowest around 50.

Glad all is well.

Adam

Tom,

Hopefully you can read this screenshot. I used these templates to plan my week.

That should give you an idea of what a “typical” schedule looks like.

Tory