Working Internationally

This is a exceptional resource, I have spent a lot of time reading through many threads which I have questions about so thank you!

I have a couple of nuances to my life which I would like to see I could get some help with.

Background:
I am a 34 years old, I have been a professional athlete for the last 10 years which is why I am a little late to the party. I have read a lot about age and seniority but hoping 20+ years left in the game, would still allow time to climb the ranks? I am originally from the UK and hold a US Green Card.

My question is I would like to eventually live back in the UK. But all of my resources are still here in the US.

If I did a full time training program in the US, would I then be able to get a job in the UK to gain experience or would I have to gain all my flight time and experience in the US?

Are there specific enrollment dates to the ATP courses? and it the full-time training course a 9-5, 5 days a week program?

Is the ATP location I select a significant factor? For example are some busier than others giving a better opportunity to acquire flight hours quickly?

Thanks so much

1 Like

Rachel,

Great questions so let’s dive in…

The number one issue you if you want to fly in the UK (or anywhere in Europe) is the licensing process is very different in the US and you would need to convert your licenses to fly there. The biggest difference is the EASA requires 14 exams that are quite extensive. My understanding is not only are they very challenging but they’re also very expensive. This is why you find many European pilots in the US and not the other way around. Short answer is if you want to fly for a UK airline you’re better off training there. Keep in mind pilots in the US are much better paid and have better work rules due to our unions.

ATP has classes starting every month throughout the year. You can start when you like provided there’s an available slot as they book up well in advance. Further ATP is a full-time commitment. There are night requirements and due to weather and aircraft availability your schedule can and will shift frequently.

ATP works very hard to standardize training throughout all their networks. Larger busier locations will have more students and instructors but the ratios and resources remain the same. You should choose a location that works best for you.

Adam

2 Likes

Rachel,

If the dream is to return to the UK and fly there, I agree with Adam. Probably best you do the entirety of your training there. The conversion process is not efficient or cheap. I know Lufthansa has a training pathway program. That could be a good place to start.

If you decide to pursue ATP and fly in the US instead, pick the location that’s most convenient. All the locations have the same timeline and curriculum. If you start zero time it’s a 7 month program and you need to be available to train from sun up to sun down every day. In addition to a few night flights conducted after sunset.

Let us know if you have any other questions for us!

Hannah

Rachel,

EASA will be the license required to work for a EU based company.
You could get an FAA cert and work for Fedex which has a base in Germany…. But a U.S. company with a base in Europe is rare.

I would get multiple opinions from EU flight schools vs US flight schools that support EASA conversions.

You can get a duel FAA & EASA license in the US, but I’m not an expert on the process, cost or timeline. I trained some EU students who got FAA certs and then converted them to EASA in the EU. It took about 3 years (including pandemic), so not sure of a “normal timeline”.

Best of luck,
Chris F

1 Like

Thank you all for these responses. They are super helpful.

Could you shed light on the ATP entry requirements. I have looked into programs in the UK and the ADAPT test is incredibly rigorous with extensive Math and Physic assessments. I am somewhat concerned that I am very many years removed from Math and Physic.

Rachel,

The EASA has VERY different requirements than the FAA (one of the reasons the licenses don’t easily swap). This includes a series of 14 exams that are math and physics intensive. The FAA has no such requirement.

As we said in the beginning, if you’re planning on flying in the UK you’re better off training there which means yes, you’ll need to brush up on your math and physics.

Adam

Adam,

Thanks, sorry I should have clarified that this was if I pursued the career in the US. So to be accepted into ATP they are no such intensive requirements?

I am ready to apply and have my own personal financing but it is unclear what the next steps are to apply to a certain location.

Rachel,

Check out the link below to program prerequisites. Typically the compass test is the only “exam” for program entry. However, it won’t be necessary if you hold one of these:

• 4-year degree from an accredited not-for-profit university, or
  • A qualifying weighted High School GPA (recent High School Graduates only), or
  • A qualifying standardized test score (SAT or ACT), or
  • Two years of military service with an Honorable Discharge

Hannah

Correct.

Adam

Hannah,
Thank you for this response. I am a veteran and I was curious as to the entry program. Are you familiar with the Atlanta locations? It seems they have many along with airlines willing to supply training ( in reference to my previous post ).

SB,

No matter which location you choose, you will have access to all the same opportunities. Just pick the location that is the most convenient for you.

Hannah

SB,

This is a common question that gets asked, choose the location that is convenient for YOU. ATP does a good job at standardizing training across nationwide to ensure that every student receives the same flight training and program.

Brady