Writing to readback + usage of mathematics (quick question)

I’m just curious to know if it’s common practice to write down what the Tower relays to you as they’re talking to you. Are you expected to be able to remember everything immediately?

Also, I understand that mathematics may be used on the job aswell. I’ve heard that it’s mostly just quick, simple calculations, is this true? Or will you be writing down physics equations on a clipboard?

It is generally common (and smart) practice to write down what ATC tells you, along with ATIS information that gives the observed weather for a particular airport. In a perfect world, you should write down anything ATC tells you to do, but that can be difficult to do in the air while you’re also piloting the aircraft at the same time. Personally, I always write down weather conditions, IFR clearances, and taxi instructions before taxiing, which is easy to do when the aircraft is not moving.

Once in the air, ATC instructions are generally more simple in nature, such as instructions to climb or descend, or to turn to a certain heading. Remembering those instructions are usually easy enough without needing to write them down. However, ATC can occasionally do things like change your clearance in the air or give instructions to do an unpublished hold, both of which can contain a lot of words that they expect you to read back accurately. It’s usually a good idea to write those types of things down before attempting to read it back.

As far as math, you’re not going to be expected to do any intense calculus or physics equations while in the air. Stuff that may come up are things like degrees to a certain heading, available flying time based on fuel consumption, ground speed, estimated time en route or estimated time of arrival to a destination, etc.

John,

It’s actually a very common (and good) practice to write down clearances. Even at the airline level at a minimum I’ll put taxi instructions in the FMS (Flight Mgmt System) scratchpad. While I agree with most of what Kyle said I can’t say that clearances on the ground are more complex than on the ground. One thing to keep in mind, as with most things, you’ll get better at remembering clearances with practice. In time you get more comfortable, develop an “ear” and will even anticipate what they’re saying.

As for the math if I ever had to write down a physics equation I’d probably have to hand in my resignation. I’ll give you my pilot math test. There are a number of times you’ll need to come up with the reciprocal of a compass heading (360deg on a compass, the reciprocal is “opposite” or 180deg from the giving heading, ie. the recip of 90deg is 270 (90+180=270) or the recip of 270 is 90 (270-180=90). If you can do that comfortably for the 360deg of a compass that’s about as difficult as the math gets.

Adam

John,

I am not a fan of writing down simple clearances, I find that when my FOs do this, it slows dow their read back ands thus takes up valuable time on the frequency. Of course complex clearances like route changes should be written down, but simple things like altitude changes, direct-to or frequency changes should not need to be written down. Of course, with time your ability to quickly comprehend and remember ATC communications will improve.

Aviation math is really not complex. There are a few simple things like reciprocal headings, and distance to lose altitude, but everything is pretty simple math. I was never good at math, so if I can handle it, anybody can.

Chris

I write down taxi instructions, squawk code, altitudes, headings, and anything else that is abnormal that ATC May say. I do this mainly to ensure that if my student or I are ever confused, we have it written our, but the best option ask ATC for clarification. You won’t have time to write it out word for word, but I work with my students to come up with abbreviations for certain things.

I write down taxi instructions as ATC says them, and read back exactly what I wrote. That way I ensure what ATC told me, is what’s I have written down.