Written Exams Passed

Evelyn,

Not to be overly philosophical, but after participating on this forum for over 10 yrs I’d have to say the most challenging part of the program is getting over the fear and doubt and actually signing up. The training isn’t cheap and there are so many questions? Can I REALLY be an airline pilot? Can I REALLY finish all my training in 9mos? What will my spouse/significant other/family think of my decision and will they be supportive? Will I REALLY get hired at a Regional? Will I REALLY ever make it to a Major? I read they steal your money and don’t even have any airplanes on ATPSucks.com? I know a guy who knows a guy who’s cousin’s dentist performed a root canal on a guy who’s hairdresser’s brother said the airlines only hire military pilots. Etc etc. Truth is after getting past all the questions and concerns and finally making the truly life changing decision that you’re going to be a pilot, the training, while challenging, almost seems easy.

Adam

4 Likes

Hi Evelyn,

The pace of the program is the most difficult (I think) part of the
program. Some other things that I think is difficult for any student
regardless of the school is critical thinking & decision making, and
competence.

Pace:
The body and mind can only endure so much. The amount of knowledge and
stick and rudder skills that have to be learned in such a short amount of
time takes a healthy amount of tenacity and perserverance.

Critical Thinking & Decision Making:
During flight school instructors love to ask scenario-based questions. This
is because it’s impossible to teach someone everything there is to know
about flying. But if a student can develop good critical thinking and
decision making skills, in theory, they should be able to work through new
problems and situations as they arise. EASIER SAID THAN DONE.

Competence:
Students often fall into a trap when they learn something difficult for the
first time. They parrot what their instructor says. I never let my students
get away with that. My favorite two questions to ask a student is "Why?"
And “How do you know that?” Asking follow up questions forces the student
to open their books and find evidence that supports their claim.

2 Likes

Evelyn,

I found the instrument part to be the most challenging. Instrument flying is very precise flying and requires learning to think differently than visual flying does. That being said, after a few weeks I caught on and didn’t have any actual problems with it.

Chris

Adam,
Wow thanks for your response. I can honestly say that you’ve nailed it with those questions because it’s something I’ve thought to myself constantly. Being a pilot has always been my dream and something I actually stared pursuing many years ago but stoped due to financial restraints. Now that I’ve accomplished more in life, pursing flight school is more attainable.

Tory,
Thank you for the well thought out response. It defiantly makes it easier to get an understanding of what students struggle with most.

1 Like

Chris, thank you as well for your response. I am definitely looking forward to learning all the different components of flying! It’s going to be tough, but nevertheless, I’m excited and looking forward to it.