Written Tests Complete

Well I did it at the wire but commercial written was passed yesterday. My writtens are complete and I start my class Monday so that was a HUGE relief. Looking forward to concentrating on flying now

Awesome. Congratulations!

Forgive me if I have forgotten this, but have you already taken the various CFI writtens?

Great news Derrick!

You may still wonder if it was really necessary but while you’re going through the training you’ll inevitably meet at least on other student who didn’t. When you see them going nuts you’ll know :slight_smile:

Adam

Yes I have done some of the CFI. I have one last CFI to do but I got all I needed done to get my free foreflight

I was told to start my FIA study and knock it out as well. Is this very similar to the Commercial written I just took? I want to knock writtens out as soon as possible to focus on flights and check rides with no writtens hanging over my head

Derrick,

They’re not listed together in the FAA matrix but I do remember them being very similar. Any one taken both recently?

Adam

Relatively similar. A couple different topics. Seems that the FIA was a little more in depth. But if you got the cax you should be fine with a little more reading.

1 Like

Derrick,

If I remember correctly, the FIA includes some balloon and glider questions that you’ll need to go over. Other than that the questions are very similar to the CAX. Try to get the FIA done as quickly as possible while the CAX material is still fresh.

Yarden

1 Like

Talked to my instructor and Will be knocking this one out this week. That leaves only one written left to take and I have only just started class this week. Way ahead on that and it feels good.

On avg what % of students at ATP complete some or all of their written exams before the start date?
I have finished the ppl written 90% and could prob complete the Checkride before my start date. Would shortening the 9 month course to 6 months be a better option and obviously save me more money versus knocking out 1 or 2 more written exams prior to start.
Alex

Alex,

I’d say the majority of students start with at least some of the writtens complete. You’re really talking apples and oranges here as starting the program with some writtens done and starting the program already having your PPL are 2 totally different things. One is to lighten the load, the other shortens the length of the course. First so we’re clear, to start the Career Pilot Program with credit for you PPL you need to have your PPL AND 80hrs of flight time. Now if you have that (or are close) then sure save the money and get the credit. Now completing some or all of the writtens is recommended to lighten the very heavy work load during the training. Whether you go in with your PPL or not that’s recommended but not required. Understand again that starting with your PPL will not make the training easier (you’ll simply start with your Instrument training) completing the writtens will.

Adam

Alex,

Completing written exams and your PPL are very different things.

I would say that if you are already into the actual flight training portion of the PPL and are past half way there, then it would make sense to complete it first. If not, then wait and do all of your flight training with ATP.

I am sure you will find though that it will actually cost you much more to get your PPL through another school and get to the 80 hours that you need to enter the ACPP

Chris