Written FAA tests

Just curious how many ATP students or alum have done the written tests before starting at ATP, and for those who didn’t, was it much of a chanalnge to get them done while in training?
Thanks,
Bryce

Bryce,

I do not think that ATP keeps track of that statistic. I completed all of mine early, my training partner didn’t. While I was out taking walks in the park (literally) he was inside studying for his writtens. We both passed all of our check rides just fine, but I certainly had a more relaxed experience than he did.

Chris

1 Like

Bryce,

Not sure what a “chanalnge” is, but I completed most but not all my writtens prior. Though I only left 3, it was really just a pain in the butt finishing them up. They really didn’t coincide with anything we were doing training wise and it became a distraction I really didn’t need. I did fine but I always advise everyone to do them all and make your life easier.

Adam

1 Like

Ok everyone says to complete them before starting. I’m hopefully starting sometime next year so I’ve got plenty of time to study for them. Where did you guys find the material to study or did you use stuff in the ATP package? I’d start studying tonight if I had the material. Only thing I have is an old book the guy at the local FBO suggested I read when I first thought about flying over 10 years ago.

Jeremy,

For the private exam you can start right now using Sporty’s Study Buddy software, it is available for free on their website. I know it sounds crazy, but just memorize the questions and answers, don’t put too much thought into it.

I might stay away from that old book, things can change a lot in ten years. If you really want to learn the material, I recommend the King Schools video series for the written tests, check for the best prices on eBay.

Chris

So your saying you wouldn’t trust that? Just kidding. I had to dig deep to even find it. The Sportys Study Buddy software, is it the same as the app for Apple products? Memorizing questions and answers is a breeze for me. All the upgrade training and testing material for promotions in the Air Force is the same exact thing. I always did very well at it.

Yeah, 2003 is pushing it a bit, and you probably will find that isn’t the easiest book to read anyways. I am not sure about the app, you would need to contact Sporty’s about that one.

What about all the other test? I read something on a forum about Sheppard Air. Any idea about them?

Sheppard Air has a great product and ATP actually provides access to their exam materials when you enroll. Once you set your date and give your deposit they’ll provide you with a code so you can start.

Adam

Chris said “For the private exam you can start right now using Sporty’s Study Buddy software, it is available for free on their website. I know it sounds crazy, but just memorize the questions and answers, don’t put too much thought into it.”

There are ton of questions similar to “refer to figure whatever and then do math”, with the test assuming you already know what equations to use to get the answers (such as conversion factors for pressure altitude, weight and balance questions, etc.).

Chris is not the first person to say to basically not over-think it all. My questions are, so if we should just memorize the questions and answers, is the stuff not really relevant to actually being a pilot? Will they teach you the same stuff in ground school? A friend of mine acts like none of the FAA test knowledge is relevant for the most part except for maybe teaching yourself to read navigational charts? Do current pilots not use any of the stuff on the test and just have to re-memorize it every two years?
I am studying like a madman to teach myself “how” to get the answers but if it’s pointless then maybe I should take it easy.

Ryan,

It’s not so much irrelevant as it’s just not things you use daily. Today everyone has an electronic E6-B (or an app) which handles most of the math and Foreflight and GPS covers the NAV. Btw while the tests are only valid for 24 mos you only take them once for the license.

Adam