Written Tests Timeline

Hey all! Just a quick question. How long on average does it take to complete all of the written tests? I’m trying to map out how far out I want to start the program. Would like to have all my writtens done before I start!

Justin,

Airman Knowledge Tests vary learner to learner, generally I have seen the first written (Private Airplane - Pilot) take two (2) to four (4) weeks of studying. Each written thereafter varies, we recommend using Sporty’s Study Buddy App at first, then Sheppard Air for every written after the PAR. Here was a detailed write up of another member on the forum who documented their detailed time:

I know there’s another write up recently, but I am having trouble finding it - maybe someone else can help locate it quicker.

Brady

1 Like

Justin,

This is one of those questions I file under “it depends”.

How many hours a day can you devote to study? How many days a week can you study? How good are your retention skills?

I have a friend who has an eidetic memory. He banged 6 tests out in 6 days. I know another who worked long hours, 6 days a week and was a lousy learner, it took him almost a year to complete 1 exam. I don’t know you but I’m thinking you’re somewhere between the two. The point is until the average person can get the material down fairly quickly provided they put in AND have the time.

Bottomline do the best you can.

Adam

2 Likes

Justin,

We don’t recommend you delay your start date to get the writtens done. Remember everything in this career revolves around timing and seniority! The longer you wait, the more pilots get hired ahead of you.

The program is written to take the exams as you go. Even if you get one done, that will help lighten your study load knowing you’re ahead and can stay ahead. That gives you some flexibility on study priorities in each phase.

Hannah

1 Like

Justin,

I would start the program as soon as possible and just work in as many writtens as you can. I in no way would delay your program start date to work on written exams. The program is designed for you to complete the exams during the program, doing them early is simply a bonus.

Chris

Once passed, how long are the exams good for. I’d hate to start to early and have to take ‘em again.

The FAA Knowledge exams are valid for 24mos meaning you must take the associated practical exam within that time.

Adam

Cool, thanks!