100 hour multi add on questions

Hello all! I just toured the ATP flight facility in ORL and am 98% sure i wanna sign the papers and start training with ATP. I’m coming in with a PPL and got my license in a 1965 C150 and the newest plane I’m renting now is a 1977 C172 so seeing the much newer Pipers with the G500 is some what intimidating. Non the less I’m excited to learn the systems and vary impressed with the facility and staff, how ever I am finding it some what difficult to get information of the 100 hour multi add on. Its something I think would be vary beneficial to have. My question is to any one who has gone through the 100 hour multi add on or has knowledge of it: How dose it work? Do you get your multi rating early and just do all your Crew flying in the Seminole? Do you do your instrument in the Seminole? Is there specific facility’s that only do the multi add on? Or any other info/ tips you might have would be greatly appreciated!

Much thanks!

-Kelly

Kelly,

First and foremost you should be anything but intimated by the new equipment. The transition to the new tech is incredibly easy and that’s the point, it’s very user friendly. The transition back is where people have a problem but fortunately most people never have to.

As for the 100hr option here is a comparison from the ATP website in case your haven’t seen it:

The answer however to pretty much all your questions is yes. Fun fact is that back in the day ATP only offered the 100hr ME program. It was only when the Regionals started hiring everyone with a pulse they went to the lower hours because that was no longer a requirement. With that in mind, unless your goal is corporate or careers other than the airlines most people don’t go with the 100hr ME to save the cash. Personally I think if you’ve got the money it’s worth. The majority of your training will be in the twin and you’ll get more comfy flying a complex airplane earlier in your training. It will also give you the ability to be a ME instructor with ATP which means more money and possibly more opportunities. For more specific details Id contact ATP admin but again if money isn’t a problem it’s def worth considering.

Adam

Kelly,

Hopefully you had a great tour at the ORL facility during your visit. I’ve never been on location, hopefully one day will get the opportunity to past through on a layover or similar.

You will have plenty of time to get prepared for transition of equipment, it’s not as intimidating as it seems. I went from flying “6-pack” to G500 then G1000 within a matter of a month. The simulators at training centers are open for free use whenever they are available (not being used by an instructor for less). For the timeline of the 100HR Multi-Engine program, you would complete your ME add-on to your Private Pilot Certificate right away.

After visiting the link below, select “Credit Private” and the square box where it says “100+ Hour Multi-Engine Option”:

Brady

Thank you Adam and Brady for the quick reply! That info helps a lot. I’ll be reaching out to ATP admin soon. Much appreciated!!

-Kelly

Kelly,

The guys answered pretty much all your questions. I just wanted to add the locations the 100 hr ME program is offered at:

If one of these locations isn’t convenient and your plan is to go the traditional CFI-Regional route, the 100 hr Multi program isn’t necessary.

Hannah

Kelly,

I am curious, why are you leaning towards the 100 hour multi program?

Chris

Thanks Hanna! That link is vary handy I must have breezed by it during my research.

Chris I think why I’m leaning towards the 100 hour multi is I think I would be in better position to get a job after my training is completed. I think and I could be wrong but having 100 hours of multi would make you stand out a bit more. My mom is a old school CFII and she is in that mind set. But when she got her rating and started flying for the airlines it was a much different world(the early 90s). Most new pilots were on food stamps. She threw bags for United while employed with Mesa as a right seat in a Beach 1900 just to make ends meet. So she’s vary much in the belief of “stand out as much as possible”. How ever times are definitely different and its starting to kinda sound like its not all that crucial for landing a decent job. Not to mention NOT having to add $12k or so on to the financing sounds vary appealing. I’ll definitely mill it about. Thank you all for such good view points and resources. One of the many reasons I’m going to go with ATP!

Again much thanks!
-Kelly

Kelly,

So this really comes down to what your goals in aviation are. If you desire to go the corporate/charter route, then yes, the 100 hours of multi time could be beneficial to your resume. If you are looking at going the airline route, then stick with the regular program because getting to 1,500 hours is what matters there. For the airlines, multi time is not nearly as important as it used to be.

Chris

Thanks Chris! This all gives me a lot of info to think about! I really appreciate every one’s knowledge and input.

-Kelly

Kelly,

Anytime. Let us know how else we can help you.

Chris

Somewhat related question:

At locations that don’t have the Seminole, obviously you can’t do the 100-Hr Multi program, but I am curious how the standard Multi program works. For example, I’m looking at attending ATP in Tucson but they only have 172s so how do students get their Multi time? Do a cross country to a location with a seminole? Just curious!
Thanks

Stephen,

This is right from the website: “Depending on where you choose to train, you may be required to travel to a Piper Seminole location. In such cases, travel will be required and ATP will coordinate transportation and housing as necessary.”

Depending on how far you are from the multi location, some cross country flights can be utilized as transportation. Say one student is finishing his multi time and flies to your location. Then you hop in and head back to the multi location. If you’re a significant distance from the Multi TC you may be provided an airline ticket to do all your training there locally.

Hannah

1 Like

Hannah,
Thanks for the reply - I figured some travel would be required but was just curious on the process. I know Phoenix has Seminoles so I would assume students would travel there for their multi-time. But, I also thought, depending on the class size/number of students doing multi at a given time, if ATP would move a Seminole to a location without one, to more efficiently train the students. I’d imagine costs could increase pretty rapidly depending on housing/hotel availability. I’ll check the student experience section to see if any recent students have any insights!
Thanks again!

That sounds like a good idea. When I went through the programs years ago, the multi training footprint was very different. Sorry I can’t give you any more info than that! Hopefully a current student can chime in here soon!

Hannah

1 Like