Finally cleared to fly!

I’ve been working through a number of issues with my medical history and it’s taken me 410 days to get through the FAA medical process till I finally received my first class medical this weekend.
Today I got approved for my student loan from both Sallie Mae and Wells Fargo, and look forward to finalizing everything and starting at the ATP KLZU location!

I’m still deciding on which program to sign up for, either the 40 or the 100 hour fast track program. I know the 40 hour program should be sufficient, but I’m still wondering if the 100 hour program would just make me feel more comfortable in a twin. I’ll make a final call this week and proceed.

Sorry if I’m rambling, but I’ve been planning a return to aviation for close to 10 years now and still can’t believe that it’s finally happening!

Andre

1 Like

Andre,

Congratulations on getting your medical issues resolved, that is fantastic.

Are you planning on instructing for ATP to build your hours? If you are, there is no reason at all to do the 100 hour program. You will feel more than comfortable with 40 hours of multi time. Save yourself the money. If my son were going through the program, I would tell him to do the 40 hour program.

Chris

1 Like

Andre,

As Chris said the 40 should be fine if you’re planning to instruct for ATP BUT if money were no factor, I’d go with the 100. Why? Because a) I really enjoyed flying the Seminole and b) one of my mentors told me years ago any time you take off in a single engine airplane you’ve already had an emergency :slight_smile:

Adam

1 Like

Andre,

I believe that the 40 hour program is a solid one. A majority of regionals only require 25 hours on a multi since the last 25 hours is flown on a sim during training. Some require 50 hours which you’d have to pay out of pocket at any local flight school.

What Adam and Chris always always advice to go with the 40 hour program if you plan on instructing at ATP. If not, go with 100 hours. Whatever choice you go with, you’ll be fine! Good luck in training!

Yuran

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I don’t have a money tree out back so that does factor a little in the equation. I do plan to stick with ATP as an instructor and follow through all the way until I’m eligible for the airlines.

Thank you Chris and Adam for your insight, you’ve been a great help throughout the past year while evaluating my aviation options.

Andre

Andre,

I would like to share a few numbers for you to consider and be sure you have accounted for in your budget for flight training.

• Tuition Reimbursement. This program will secure future employment from an airline and the airline contributes monthly directly to your student loan payment. You will earn $5 per flight hour you fly as an instructor at ATP. 80 - 100 hrs a month = $400 - $500 a month. If you have a loan payment of $700 then you only come up with the difference every month to make your payment (or obviously pay more to pay your loan faster). These payments will continue while you’re an instructor and during your first year at an airline. Payments while at the airline are $500 a month. Total benefit = $11,000.

• Airline Sign on Bonus: Many airlines that participate in Tuition Reimbursement also offer sign-on bonuses ON TOP of Tuition Reimbursement. You can earn $20,000 day one.

Hope this is helpful! If you have any more questions about Tuition Reimbursement please let me know. I’m also available in the office at 904-595-7950.

2 Likes

Great points Danielle, thanks for adding that!

1 Like

My current instructor at ATP did the 40 hour program. He has a little over 700 hours Total time but over 200 multi engine hours.

Tucker,

Thank you for posting that. You completely proved the point that we always try to drive home. If you are planning on instructing for ATP, save yourself the money and do the 40 hour program. There will be plenty of multi-time in your future as an ATP instructor.

Chris

2 Likes

Well, I’m officially signed up with ATP! Starting classes on Nov. 13th. I’m doing the 40 hour program with credit for PPL. Have a few hours of time building to hit the 80hr mark which I’ll be doing with ATP as well. I’m really looking forward to my flight training!

1 Like

Andre,

That is great news, congratulations on taking the next step! Please keep us up to date as you go through the program, we love knowing how our guys and gals are doing.

Chris

1 Like

Congrats Andre! Keep us posted and start working on those writtens!

Adam

1 Like

Persistence has paid off! I can’t totally relate. I too had some medical history that required extra testing. You’re going to do well.

1 Like