Helicopter Pilot going to the Airlines?

Hello Everyone,

First-thank you for all the questions and information posted on this site, specifically by the mentors, its been very helpful.

I am a 30-year-old helicopter pilot. I have been very focused on my helicopter career for the last 5 years and for many reasons am now considering a career in the airlines. I currently hold ATP, CFI/I Helicopter, Private/Instrument ASEL, and have a Bachelor’s Degree. I have about 1,600 hours tt of which 200 is ASEL. I am currently flying the EC-130 and AS-350 helicopters for a 135 operator and have found a school nearby and am going through the process of enrolling in there multi-engine commercial course.

I’ve seen a couple of threads with similar subjects, however all my time is civilian. It would be my goal to get on with Skywest. I understand you only need 250 f/w hours per their website, however would I be at all competitive with a resume consisting of so much helicopter time? Any other advice and insight would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Scott

Hi Scott,

Short answer Heck yea! The Regionals need qualified pilots and as long as you meet the requirements and have a clean record you should have no problem getting hired. But don’t listen to me, I’d give SkyWest a call and talk to a recruiter. They’ll tell you exactly what they want and I wouldn’t be surprised if they invite you for an interview already. Besides, fixed wing is ALOT easier than those scary things you’re flying now :slight_smile:

Adam

4 Likes

Scott,

I think you will be very competitive for a job with a regional, but like Adam said, call the airlines directly to find out.

Chris

Thank you both for the reply and all the information! I’ll give them a call. Appreciate the insight.

Scott

Hey Scott,

My new hire class last year had a wide variety of backgrounds. We had Navy F-14 pilots, freight dogs from Alaska, one guy was flying the DC3 out in Hawaii, two guard Chinook guys (both with the minimum 750 TT), and obviously many many CFIs (like me) with the bare minimums.

The regionals are hiring right now and they aren’t really all that picky. On top of that, I know that SkyWest offers a sign on bonus if you have a type rating and previous 121/135 experience. I’m not sure if it applies to helicopter types, but it’s definitely worth researching.

Yarden

1 Like

Thanks for the info Yarden. I saw they offer a sign on bonus for prior 135 operators, certainly wouldn’t expect it but that would be nice. Trying to track down a recruiter now and I’ll probably end up attending one of their recruiting events in the coming months to talk with them.

Scott

Yarden thanks for your insight. Just wanted to post an quick answer here for anyone else reading this thread. I’m in conversation with Skywest now. Helicopter pilots with 135 experience are eligible for the $7,500 bonus.

Just wanted to post a follow up here for anyone else who may be in the position I was in and bring this thread full circle. I wrapped up my commercial MEL and have been offered a position with SkyWest. So far seems totally doable to make the transition, and I’ve felt very welcomed. Thanks again to those who responded to my original post.

Scott

Scott,

Congratulations and good luck out there!

Chris

1 Like

Very cool and congrats! Nice job.

Adam

1 Like

Hey scott
I am the similar situation as you , I got my commercial helicopter license at February 2017, the total flight hour is 165 hours . No fly in the last two years.do you think I can apply for Skywest? Thanks

Chunyu,

To obtain a job at any regional you need your commercial MEL and must meet the FAA flight time requirements for an ATP rating:

1,500 total flight time
300 hours airplane
250 hours airplane PIC

If you have that I would encourage you to apply.

Hi Scott, got it thank you so much for your reply.

Scott Gendron via Airline Pilot Life airlinepilot@discoursemail.com于2019年6月16日 周日下午3:46写道: