3rd grade Teacher to Pilot

Hello everyone!

I am a 24 year old female teacher currently, looking to leave education from a Title 1 school in a suburb of Detroit. I am not going to go into detail of why I’m leaving teaching, but I’m sure if you know a teacher personally then you understand. I live in Michigan about 90 mins from the Ypsilanti ATP. After doing some reading through this forum I’ve found that it is not going to work to commute 90 mins on a good day to YIP. My husband and I have decided to rent out our house and move closer to an ATP for me to start flight school.
My question comes with the territory of moving, since I am going to move anyway, would it make more sense to move down south and go to an ATP in somewhere like Texas? I am either going to go to the ATP in McKinney (TX) or the one in Ypsilanti (MI). To me, it makes the most sense to move to Texas due to the weather difference but to people I have brought it up to, they say it would be the best decision to just go to the closer one since it’s most convenient.

Does anyone have any specific pros or cons in going to either one? My mind is not set either way and I’d love to hear the opinions on here.

Also, I know Sallie Mae can cover living expenses if that is included in the loan, but would SM also cover moving expenses instead? Since my husband will be working as a teacher wherever we move to, we will have a small income, hopefully enough to support us during flight school if we find a cheap apartment but not enough to move without SM help. Also, could I add in the iPad and headset I need into the loan as well?

Thank you all so much!

Jessica

Jessica,

My first question is do you have any flight experience (and no riding in the back of a Boeing going on vacation doesn’t count)? If the answer is no, then I strongly recommend you take a discovery flight or lesson (or 3) before your every consider moving. I understand the word is out there’s a pilot shortage and everyone and anyone can fly but the reality is that’s not really the case. It’s kind of like watching the Yankees play on TV, hearing they need a pitcher and moving up NY before you even pick up a ball. Not a great idea.

If you have flown then choose a location that’s best for you. ATPs standardizes their training and resources throughout the network. You also want to make sure there’s a slot available for when you want to start. Honestly moving should be the last thing on your list.

Adam

Jessica,

Honestly just go to the location that makes the most sense to you. No matter which location you chose, the curriculum and timeline is the same. You may have more challenges with winter months in Michigan but you have to battle summer thunderstorms in Texas. Every region has its weather challenges. Go to the one that has the least disruptions to you and your husband’s life and finances.

Yes, you can add the cost of your iPad and headset in to your loan. You can also add something like $2k extra per month for living expenses to the cost of your loan. However, it would probably be dispersed throughout and not an up front lump sum for moving. Best to talk to Sallie Mae or the finance department for more specifics.

Hannah

Jessica,

Welcome to the forum. I am married to a teacher, so I get many of your concerns about teaching.

I would simply pick the location that is most convenient for you and not dwell on it much longer. If all things are equal, then Texas does have better weather, but it would not be a major concern of mine.

You can add a monthly stipend to your loan to help cover living expenses. How you use it is up to you. Call the admissions department and speak to them about this as they are the experts in that field.

Chris