A journey of a thousand miles

Simon,

Thank you for the update. Keep up the good work.

Chris

A belated update - the course is progressing well, and I am now a certificated Private Pilot working on my Instrument Rating!

A few slightly frustrating weeks of poor weather delayed the completion of the XC phase, and the scheduling of the check-ride but did allow more time to prep for the oral.

Going into this checkride was a little daunting due to the unknown elements of just how it would pan out. The ATP preparation was good, but a LOT of Private study and cramming is needed to ensure you are 100% prepared for that oral exam (and they only get harder from here). On the whole I enjoyed the experience and think the process will become smoother with each checkride to come.

I am loving the introduction to Instrument flying, putting the theory from the knowledge exams into practice really helps to bring those concepts alive having now shot a number of RNAV, ILS and VOR approaches for real
Holds and DME arcs still to come though (gulp).

Currently I am still about 1 month ahead of the program forecast milestones, due to the excellent weather we had in May.

2 Likes

Simon,

Thank you for the update, I am glad to hear that you are progressing well through the program. Make sure to learn those holding procedures, you will need them for EWR, LGA and especially LHR someday!

Chris

1 Like

Thanks Chris! Flying into LHR would be great, or even better RAF Brize Norton near Oxford (unlikely but they do take charter etc) as I have deployed overseas from there quite a few times when in uniform!

First Hold executed today, wasn’t as bad as I expected but the Garmin 430 is a real benefit!

Ha! Yea talk to me after you do a few WITHOUT the Garmin! :wink:

Adam

1 Like