After flight school

I’m curious as to what ATP offers as career paths after you complete the 7 month course. Provided you still need to log just over 900 hours. Do graduates usually step right into a regional job after schooling? Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Chris,

To fly for a Regional (or any US 121 carrier, aka an airline with a schedule), you need the mandatory 1500hrs. The most common method for building this time is flight instructing. Since ATP has over 80 locations nationwide, they offer more instructor positions than any other flight school. Keep in mind the location you train at might not have an opening when you complete training so you would have the choice to go to another location or seek employment elsewhere. Also know positions are not guaranteed and are contingent on you doing well in the program.

Again this is one of our FAQs. I suggest you spend some time browsing the forum and the ATP website for more information on these and many other commonly asked questions.

Adam

Chris,

I’m not sure how you calculated logging “just over 900 hours” because after completion of ATP’s program, you will leave with around 250 hours of flight time (the AATD simulator time does not count towards your 1,500 - only certificates which fall under their respected regulations). ATP is a P61 flight training school, not P141 if you’re confusing the two. Therefore, you will need to accrue at least 1,200 hours until you can begin most airline training, given you use simulator time for your ATP certificate.

Once you reach around 500 hours, you can start to participate in cadet programs, some will start interviewing and accepting candidates after their private pilot license. There are tons of ways to build your time, ATP has 80+ locations and always looking for successful ATP students’ to instruct for them, and build time (and yes, CFI is the most common route to build time).

There are other routes that you can do to build time such as aerial photography, firefighting, banner towing, etc. CFI is the most common; however, there are obviously other avenues, but this is a short list found under 14 CFR 119.1(e) :

Brady