Airline pilot aptitude tests - relevant in USA?

I am almost 48 years old, living in Chicago, looking carefully at changing careers, and seriously considering enrolling at ATP locally here at DPA. I have a bachelor’s degree and have worked as a mechanical engineer for the past twenty years or so. There is so much about professional aviation that interests me (the good), but I have also been compiling a growing list of things that I would put under the heading of the bad/ugly. On a recent foray across the internet I came across the topic of airline pilot aptitude tests, which I am considering adding to the bad/ugly list. I never have been a fan of standardized testing…

It appears that these tests are mostly in relation to European airlines, but I think I also saw these listed in relation to some cadet academy type schools (i.e. L3) located in the USA. Worryingly, Mentour Pilot, the “youtuber”, mentioned these tests in a video. He suggested that these tests should be taken before training to be sure you have what it takes to be a pilot. I think I handle stress well, that I have good hand-eye coordination, sound decision making skills, and I think I can multi-task and delegate tasks effectively. But he makes it sound like these tests, used by “airline psychologists”, objectively determine if you have the innate ability to be a successful pilot. I am beginning to have doubts about the viability of my dream of becoming a professional pilot. Rhetorical question: do I have what it takes, or will I prove that by completing flight school and all the FAA requirements?

My first question for you guys is: are airline pilot aptitude tests used in any significant way as part of the job candidate evaluation process by any of the main professional pilot employers (i.e. corporate, regional, major/legacy) in the USA? Or, in the USA, are aptitude tests utilized less, or at all, because of all of the FAA certification requirements and high minimums (1500 hours)? Finally, if they are used and are a significant part of the job process in this country, are there reputable ways to take the tests, or some approximation of the tests, to be sure that one is not ignorantly pursuing a career for which they might not have the aptitude?

I would think that ATP would include assessing aptitude using these tests as part of their process if the tests were significant, but I guess the cynic would say they are happy to take your money and don’t care if an “airline psychologist” determines you don’t have what it takes to be a pilot after leaving their school. I hope that is not the case. Please advise.

1 Like

Following the topic. I’m 50 and taking the plunge… Already have a start date of for ATP in May. I’m not overly concerned about the tests themselves.

1 Like

They really aren’t that big of a deal. I’ve taken a few of the tests and they can actually be sort of fun. In fact, I’m wondering if part of the test is your reaction to taking the test. On one of them, I didn’t want it to stop and wanted it to go FASTER.

Someone explained to me…“If you can play Angry Birds and talk on the mobile phone at the same time, you can pass these tests.”

1 Like

Peter,

The short answer is take that off your bad/ugly list. Europe and the EASA (European Aviation Safety Agency, their FAA) LOVES their tests. LOVES them. In fact there are 14 exams that must be passed and I believe the passing score is 90(?). The EASA actually puts (IMHO) more emphasis on academic knowledge than pilot skills and have demonstrated this with the MPL (Multi-Crew Pilot License) which trains you to be a good "crew member vs being a pilot. They also have these coordination and aptitude tests but again they just love tests. While a few airlines (including mine Hawaiian) uses them they’re nothing like what you’re talking about. ATP doesn’t use them because ATP’s goal is to train you to be a pilot, not pass an interview.

While flying does require some level of intelligence and coordination, it isn’t rocket science. Put in the work and you’ll be fine.

Whatelse you have on your list?

Adam

1 Like

Peter,

There are some personality tests used in the interviewing process (the Hogan comes to mind), but not anywhere near like are used in Europe. I would stay away from Mentor Pilot’s videos. His information is good, but it is relevant to the European airline industry, which is very different that in the US.

I would not worry about this one bit.

Chris

1 Like

Thanks guys. I will strike these tests from my bad/ugly list!

Adam: what remains on my bad/ugly list is low starting pay, potentially long/complicated commute for a while (wanna be domiciled at ORD or MDW!), seniority and being handcuffed to a single airline because of it, furloughs, and “Flags of Convenience/Cabotage” which was new to me until recently and is explained here and advocated against here and other places.

Having said that, at this point I still think my “good” list is strong enough to neutralize these negatives! Hoping to complete my 1st Class medical this week…

I was also curious about your first link as I had also found and read it. It is only one perspective so I took it with a grain of salt, but I am interested to see the general opinion around here about the whole write up that guy has about the piloting profession.

Peter,

I won’t go through the entire list in your first link and I don’t know how old it is but many of his points are now moot. There’s a pilot shortage in this country and around the world. This is not a myth. People who never would’ve had a shot at a airline job are being actively recruited (not necessary a good thing). Starting pay is 2-3 times what it was when I started and the top salaries have returned to their former glory with senior Capt earning over $300k. Times right now are the best they’ve been in decades. The Flags of Convenience/Cabotage have been blocked (somewhat) by our govt and the airlines and unions will continue to lobby against them.

That said I’d be lying if I said the airline industry is stable. Virtually all the airlines that existed when I was young are now gone and yes our industry can collapse in a relatively short period of time. Is there risk? Most definitely, but I’m a risk/reward kind of guy. I sold a very successful restaurant and took a huge paycut to give it a shot and it was the best decision of my life. Has it been easy? Not at all. While I was never furloughed I was downgraded, my first job paid $18k a year and after almost 10yrs of working my way back to 6 figures I took another pay cut down to $36k to fly for a Major. In exchange I transformed my entire life. I was financially secure previously but very unhappy. That unhappiness crept into every aspect of my life. I now have a great life. I’ve traveled the world and look forward to every day particularly the days I go to work. Life is good. Have others failed sure. I know a few pilots who were furloughed and went back to their former careers. Personally I’m glad I tried and honestly believe even if I had failed I’d still be glad at least I tried.

Whether it’s worth it or not to you is your decision.

Adam

1 Like

Peter, Hi, I am 48 as well and starting now. Just wondering how things have been for you over the last year. Thanks!

Hi, Steve, just wondering how things have been over the last year. I am 48 and starting next month. Thanks for your input!

Going really well. I started in November with Credit for Private. I received my Instrument Rating about a month ago, and I will have my Commercial checkride in about 2-3 weeks. I am very happy with the training I am receiving, and I think the aircraft are
great (love the redundancy). I am just about a week behind the course timeline that was established when I started, which I think is pretty good given that winter flying weather can be a challenge from a scheduling standpoint.

1 Like

Congrats! Thank you for your answer. I am a bit concerned about being surrounded by many very young students and 20 years old Instructors. Did you find it to be invigorating or not so easy?
I am still debating between 2 schools to start in April. Exciting times!

Paris,

I found it amusing. Youth as they say is wasted on the young. I found that older students (myself included) are very focused on the task at hand and usually end up mentoring the youngins.

Adam

I think I would say that their energy and enthusiasm is invigorating. We all share a very specific common goal which helps keep everyone unified and motivated. I treat
all my young peers and instructors with respect and professionalism, and they have returned it in kind (no ageism from what I can tell).

One word of advice: if you have them time before your start date, finish as many of the written tests as you can. I finished all of them prior to my start date, and have found that it really frees up time to focus on other aspects of the training. It was
definitely time well spent.