AME question

Hello senior pilots and all pilots that are in training I have a question I’d like to ask regarding my medical.

I am a military veteran with an honorable discharge, recently I’ve taken an interest in flying & I want to inquire about pursuing a career with a commercial airline.

I receive a disability check from the VA for alcohol use disorder and I am concerned that I will be automatically disqualified if I take that medical exam.

For the record, I don’t have any DUIs, nor have I ever had to call out of work because I’ve overindulged irresponsibly. And the only reason I’ve claimed it was because my leaders told me to document everything but still stinks that it’s on my record

Thanks

I’m not an expert on the subject, but I do see this advice online a lot for a variety of medical issues: schedule a consultation with an AME to discuss your specific concerns. They can help guide you in the right direction and let you know what steps you can take.

1 Like

Thank you Jeff !

1 Like

You’re welcome John! Also, if you run into problems, you can search online for an aviation medical attorney to help you navigate those challenges. You might have to shell out some coin to follow your dreams, but there are definitely attorneys who specialize in fighting medical denials.

John,

You’re right to have a concern. Question 18 on the FAA Medical application asks if you’ve EVER had any instances or history of a number of medical conditions. 18(o) is Alcohol dependence or abuse. That’s going to mean a whole lot of hoop jumping and probably money.

You need to consult with an AME (Aviation Medical Examiner) as they’re actually the only ones who can tell you what’s ahead.

Adam

John,

I recently replied to another thread posting about convictions/felonies etc., see below:

Step 1: Apply for a 1st Class FAA Medical and provide them with the documentation they need. Would you want someone that drinks or stays out late when they have to report early for work to be in charge of passengers and multi-million jets? There’s been a few recent pilots that got nailed for showing up with a BAC when conducting random tests. You are going to want to see a FAA HIMS AME since this involves alcohol.

If you can get a medical, then proceed as following:

Step 2: Reach out to recruiters and inquire based on the posting you posted here. Be honest, don’t sugarcoat things and maybe you’ll get answers you want, or didn’t want to hear.

Step 3: Take introductory flight to see if this is something you truly could see yourself doing.

Step 4: Do your flight school research, find financing, and tackle your dream.

Brady

Good morning Adam, thank you very much for your wisdom and input. I have accepted the fact that I may have to pay a little extra to achieve this goal of mine… I think it’ll be a good idea for me to even Voluntarily attend AA. I’ve only ever drink socially every now & then for the record, but I believe it’ll show the FAA that I am taking this matter seriously. I look forward to more of your responses

John

Good morning Brady, thank you for the very detailed steps. I believe that this information will serve me a lot better than my original plan I have some schools in mind but may be an introductory class would benefit me a lot along with reaching out to other pilots. You’re absolutely right, me as a passenger I would not be comfortable with a pilot that possibly has a problem so I can’t be upset at the regulations. I’m more disappointed with myself, because I was being greedy and pursuing VA benefits. You live & you learn !!

John,

I just want to clear the air with my response: I’m not just saying speak with other pilots, you should with RECRUITERS as well. They are the ones that are going to give you insight on the interview process and hiring.

Brady

I would strongly advise you to speak with an AME before making any decisions like this. Unless of course you need to attend AA for sobriety reasons, then by all means, you should go.

Chris

Hi Chris. I assumed that doing something like that would be taking initiative and showing the examiner that I’m taking this serious I legit don’t need AA. Now that I’m thinking twice, I shouldn’t go and make myself look any worse. Thanks for the guidance I’ll call an AME close to me tomorrow

John