Aviation Medical Exam

Good afternoon! I am currently in the military. And I want to proceed my career to become an airline pilot after I finish with the military. But I have an irregular heart beat and it’s been treated. I was wondering if this health condition could disqualify me from getting a first class medical exam.

Also for military vets out there. What can I claim and what should I not claim when I apply for VA disabilities? I just don’t want to take a chance of getting disqualified if there’s anything that will be on any documents.

Francis,

The only way to really find out is to apply for a First Class Medical. We are not medical examiners and cannot dispense medical advice. If I were you, I would do this before proceeding any further with your career planning.

Chris

1 Like

Francis,

It’s not a matter of what you should or shouldn’t claim. The fact is, if you withhold any medical information from the FAA, they will find out and you will never fly again. Disclose everything. Whatever medical history you have and whatever medical services you have or will have through any healthcare system, including the VA, the FAA must also know about it. If you disqualify, you disqualify. Let the FAA decide. Don’t get clever.

Tory

Appreciate your advice sir thank you

Claim legitimate disabilities and don’t claim anything that you don’t have a disability for. As a vet, I always get weird looks when I say I filed 0% disability. I was lucky…and people shouldn’t game the system. Baffles my mind.

Andrew

Did you have any issues with your medical history even though you received a 0 percent disability? I’m separating in a year and I’m torn on the issue. I have a lengthy medical history from my time in for back pain, a torn shoulder, had to receive surgery for a broken jaw, and sleep disorder. None of the issues are disqualifying by themselves and I’ve been symptom free for a year for my sleep issues. I’m worried that even if I tell the VA I’m completely fine and receive 0 percent, I’ll still have issues with getting certified only because of my history.

James,

I have had numerous surgeries on my ankle, four in total. I have never had an issue with getting a medical because of that.

Chris