FAA Requested Information For Medical

Good evening,

I have read multiple articles on this subject but realize every case is different. Any advice or direction is greatly appreciated!

I recently started my flight training 2 months ago and have 27hrs total. I am hoping to be a career pilot. I went to an AME to get my first class medical and disclosed to him that In 2013 I was arrested for a DUI. The officer asked me if I had eaten that day and I had not so he told me that a breathalyzer test would not work and he would need to perform a blood test. At the time I had a fear of needles and refused the test. This is no excuse and I regret not allowing them to do the test. Later in court my convicted charge was implied consent-civil (misdemeanor). I can proudly say that that evening was the last drink I’ve had in 9 years, 7 months, and 15 days. With the help of an already sober friend, I was able to confide in I officially became abstinent on my 23rd birthday. I truly believe this decision has allowed me to live a better quality of life. I have not had any other offenses or even a parking ticket since.

Because I did not have a BAC level to give my AME he said my application would be defered to the FAA. We performed the medical portion of the test and he transmitted everything to them. The time between that day and when I received the certified letter from them was 50 days. They have requested the police report, My BAC level report and a personal statement. I have written the personal statement explaining what happened and that I have been over for over 9 years now. I did not attend a program or participate in AA because I had a friend to give me advice and quit drinking cold turkey. Is this a problem not being able to prove that I am now sober?

Does anyone think it will be possible for this to be enough for them to pass me or will I have to go through a HIMS program? Is there anything that I am missing that would help the process?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Taylor,

Best advice I can give is to do exactly what the FAA asks of you. Anything beyond that would just be us guessing.

Chris

1 Like

Taylor,

You’re looking for words of encouragement or someone to tell you its going to be ok. Problem is the FAA, and ONLY the FAA, can make the determination.

What I can tell you is refusal of a test the FAA automatically assumes you were well over the limit vs trypanophobia and will treat you as such. Further they have no evidence of your sobriety other than your word.

Again ONLY the FAA can and will decide but in my experience you’re going to have some hoops to jump through.

Adam

1 Like

That sucks that they’re making you take all these extra steps. I was faced with a similar charge about 9 years ago. But I ended up doing the blood draw at the time. I was cleared for my 1st class this past January. Didn’t really have much issue but had to explain to my AME on what happened. I did not have to do the HIMS program you’re probably not going to have to either. I heard that program is for people that really had a drinking or drug problem though. But I guess it very much is cases by case.

1 Like

No Rian, it really doesn’t. Flying is a huge responsibility and it’s the FAAs responsibility to protect the flying public. They’re doing their job.

Adam

2 Likes

I appreciate everyone’s feedback and do agree with @Adam that they have a responsibility to protect the flying public. All of the information they requested including a personal statement has been sent over. I know having these to read when you are going through something similar is very helpful so I will keep everyone in the loop when I learn more.

Taylor,
What was the outcome of your situation? Did the FAA require the evaluation? Or are you still waiting for their decision? My situation is similar…any feedback would be appreciated.

I have unfortunately not heard anything from them. MedXpress still says in review. I have stopped my training until I hear something from them. I am very sorry that you will have to go through this process. My only advice is to provide them with everything they ask for and be patient because I never expected it to take this long to hear back. Best of luck and I will be sure to post again once I hear something.

2 Likes

Thanks for the prompt reply. Can I ask how long you’ve been waiting since you submitted your paperwork?

No worries I wish I had better news and could give you more advice about the next steps. It was 1 month after My AME sent in the paperwork notifying them. I put all the paperwork together and overnighted it the next day. Next week will be 3 Months since they received everything.

1 Like

Hopefully you hear something soon.

I waited 1 month between my consultation with my AME, signing release paperwork for the FAA to work with my AME on my case and the FAA finally getting back to my AME and asking for a list of records and paperwork needed to reopen my case.

Theyre the government, they dont do anything fast, promptly or expedited, except take our money

1 Like

Hey Taylor…just curious if you’ve heard back from the FAA?

@Chazzer

I am proud to say that after checking MedXPress every day for months the FAA has approved me for 1st class medical. As @Chris mentioned it’s best to do exactly what the FAA asks for and I was incredibly organized with my documents including an index for each page. Thank you for the advice above and I hope this helps someone waiting on a decision that feels they are not going to get an answer. The FAA is busy and they will get to your application when they can.

Taylor,

Congratulations on getting the medical! I went back to the first post on this thread and saw that it was well over a year ago. It seems that the wheels of the FAA turn very slowly, but they do turn. Inn your case, you clearly have made a major life change and the FAA recognized that.

So where do you stand in regards to flight training?

Chris

1 Like

That’s great to hear! My 1st class medical was approved Nov 9th after 6 mo. I’m happy to be flying again and have this behind me. Best of luck to you

Taylor,

Congrats on receiving the medical after a ‘long drawn out’ process.

As Chris asked, what’s up next in your eyesight for training? Are you looking to attend ATP or smaller-scale school?

Brady

Taylor,

Persistence pays off! That’s the first big green light starting flight training. Looking forward to hearing your next steps!

Hannah

Taylor,

I just came across your post because I have a similar situation as you but its great to hear that you were able to get approved! it gives me hope that I might get an opportunity to get cleared as well. I understand your situation was in 2013, did you have to go through the HIMS program? my situation happened back in 2020. I spoke to my AME and she gave me all the information on what to have prepped because she said my application will get deferred and like you I have the whole package (personal statement, driving record, court deposition, etc.) ready to be sent in. My BAC was recorded at .08. Any thoughts on what might happen? seems like its just a waiting game from what I read in these posts.

Congrats and Good luck with your training
-Juan

@Chris @Brady @Hannah

Thank you! I have all of my solo hours left so I’m going to start that process and evaluate what the next steps are after I receive my private pilot license. Thank you all for your feedback on this platform and the advice you give aspiring pilots!

@Chazzer ,

Great to hear! Good luck!

@JJ3300 ,
I’m sorry to hear that you are dealing with it but everyone above was correct in saying that its the FAA’s responsibility to protect everyone and make sure you are fit to fly. I did not go through a HIMS program but I also have not had a drink since 2013 after my DUI. I did not have a problem and was young but It was a wake-up call and I never wanted to deal with that process ever again. 2020 is pretty recent so they could ask more of you but I truly have no idea what the process will be. All I can say is make sure you have prepped everything they ask for and make It as easy on the FAA as possible considering how busy they are. Aside from that check MedX every day for updates.

Best of luck to you and I think everyone would appreciate it if you use this thread for updates so anyone going through this in the future has a place to understand the details.