Another possibly dumb question

I’m curious how job security works when a regionals is shut down since what I’ve read it happens sometimes. Not sure if it’s like contract maintenance like I work where sometimes a company just changes names to keep a contract when under legal problems or not and everything stays the same except the name on the shirt you wear. But say for instance you worked for American Eagle, then from what I read Envoy replaced Americans Eagle. Would you keep your job, seniority, etc. or would you have to re-apply, lose seniority and start at the bottom all over?

Just a point of clarification, American Eagle no longer exists as its own company. That company became Envoy and now all regionals that fly for AA operate under the American Eagle moniker.

In that particular case, it was simply a name change and everything remained as it was.

In the case of a regional shitting down, Pilots would have to reapply to other airlines and would start at the bottom of the list. Job security is one of the many reasons that it is better to be at a major airline.

Chris

shutting down

2 Likes

Anthony,

Not a dumb question and that in my opinion is the biggest problem with our industry. In virtually any other career as you build experience and pay it’s something you can take with you. If you’re the CEO of a company you can probably get another job in upper management with a comparable salary. Same for plumbers, accountants, etc. The airlines it’s simply not so. Even other union jobs you retain your status within the union. While airlines don’t go out of business often (particularly with all the recent consolidation) if the one you happen to be flying for does (or you get fired which also doesn’t happen often), you just hit BANKRUPT of your Wheel of Fortune spin and you reset to zero. 30yr widebody Capt flying a 787 making $350k and the next day you’d be applying to be a 737 FO on Reserve.

That btw is one of the reasons it absolutely blows my mind when pilots get in trouble for drinking or bad behavior. I’ve yet to taste the cocktail that’s worth your entire career.

Adam

1 Like

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Always something to consider and I guess why most everyone wants to land a major.