Regional Poaching

I have heard of a phenomenon of airlines “poaching” pilots away from competitors (ex: United hiring from Envoy as Envoy is an AA WO). Doesn’t cut down on their own regional staffing while they still get pilots. This leads to my question. If one’s long term goal was to be hired by United and you were deciding which regional to go to, would it be smarter to go to one of the AA WOs or Endeavor to increase those chances? I know hiring is like crazy right now, but could it move your chances just a little bit higher, all things equal (bases equal, work rules similar, etc.)?

Ben

Ben,

It’s not a phenomenon, nor is it a common practice. The only time this really comes into play is when we talk about flows. If American (for example) needs 10p pilots and has a flow with say Envoy, if they were to take all 100 from Envoy at one shot they would obviously cripple Envoy which would in turn hurt American. That’s bad business. This is why when you read the flow language at all carriers you’ll see thinks like “10% of all newhires will come from XYZ”. This ensures their Regional isn’t cannibalized but also makes it an attractive option for pilots to want to fly for.

You, and many others, are really trying to work a system that really can’t be worked because you have zero idea who’ll need what, when. WHEN your time comes get hired at the Regional that works best for you. Do a good job, stay out of trouble, make friends and you’ll get to a Major.

But first of course, learn to fly.

Adam

1 Like

But first of course, learn to fly.

The most important step! :yum:

Ben,

I do not think this is a real thing. I have heard these urban legends, but I think they are just that. I fly with new hire pilots at United that come from all different regionals, they cast a broad net.

Chris

1 Like

Ben,

Regional poaching is not a real thing. It sounds like a catchy title for the next headline article in Flying Magazine, but no. It doesn’t work like that.

What IS happening is pilots have options. They are in the que for their airline’s flow program, but they also have applications out at other airlines. What happens is they receive multiple offers around the same time.

Really all that’s happening is pilots are receiving multiple offers because they took the time to apply to multiple airlines, and are choosing to accept an offer from an airline that isn’t affiliated with their regional.

I see no reason to even humor the idea that these pilots have accidentally pioneered a new strategy in getting hired at their preferred airline quicker. It doesn’t work that way.

These are just good, qualified pilots that just so happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Tory

1 Like

Ben,
I too think that theory is nothing but a myth. I think those with a flow won’t pull anymore than they have to as to not hurt their own regional. Besides that an eligible pilot app these days is good regardless wherever it comes from. They just need pilots.

I think you should pick your regional based on what’s important to you. Maybe the one with the most convenient base, the best culture, the best training program, the airplanes you want to fly, etc. Chose the regional you want to work for now knowing your decision on a major is completely separate, unless you want the flow. In that case, you pick the regional based off the flow.

-Hannah

1 Like