Any advice? 720 hours of flight time

I’d like to ask some questions and advice.

I have 720 hours of flight time and I used to have a CFI, and CFII license which already expired a while ago. (I didn’t renew them because I thought I won’t go back to the pilot industry) I have a multi-engine, commercial license with instrument rated.

I’m interested in the ATP Cadet program and would like to know if I can prepare for the CFI check ride again with ATP and build hours in ATP facilities to get into airlines. Any advice would be appreciated.

FYI, I’m located in Pennsylvania now.

Sumin,

No you cannot. ALL ATP cadet and airline programs are exclusively for ATP Career Pilot grads.

Wouldn’t really be fair to let you jump in just because the salaries have come up to a level acceptable to you and you want to fast track your way in now would it?

Adam

Adam, Thanks for your reply. I wasn’t aware of the blockers for the program and that’s why I tried to ask for advice here. I’d like to let you know that salary wasn’t my consideration at all. I don’t even know how much they’re getting paid at all. I just wanted to see if there are opportunities for me to join back to aviation industry since I stopped flying in the past for a personal reason. Salary doesn’t have to do anything with my consideration. Thanks for your advice though.

Sumin,

Your reasons for returning are your own and if my assumption was incorrect I meant no offense.

It does seem interesting to me that virtually EVERY pilot on the planet who left the industry for whatever reason has suddenly experienced a renewed interest that inexplicably coincides with the pilot shortage and record salaries… very strange…

Adam

Sumin,

I would recommend going out to your local flight school and talking to them, they might have some ideas as to the best way to reinstate your CFI. Keep in mind that your book knowledge is probably very stale and will require some considerable work to get back up to speed.

Chris

Thank you Chris. That might be the best way to find a way for now. I appreciate your advice.

Sumin,

It’s going to take a considerable amount of work to renew both your CFI and CFII. Thats time and money spent before getting hired to fly. With the commercial multi rating, have you thought of finding other part 135 gigs to build the remainder of your time (once you get current again of course). I know many pilots who flew Piper Aztecs doing pipeline work. Most seemed to build time quickly and get great experience ME, XC, IFR time.

Hannah

Hannah! Thanks for your advice! I really appreciate it. I’m going for a medical exam tomorrow and will visit any flight schools nearby to reinstate currency and recency first and I’d like to go look for part 135 opportunities. I see some job listings don’t require jet ratings before applying which is good. It gave me a headache thinking about going to CFI checkride again from scratch so part 135 sounds really enticing to me. Thank you so much :slight_smile:

Sumin,

If you are interested in renewing both of your CFI certificates, the easiest way would probably be to add an additional CFI rating to your certificate. Seeing as you already hold a commercial multi-engine rating, it might not be a bad option to pursue an MEI. If I’m not mistaken, passing an MEI checkride (or any other instructor checkride) would satisfy the requirements to renew your CFI and CFII, without re-doing either checkride. It might be a little bit more intensive than a typical MEI checkride (since you haven’t exercised your CFI privileges for a while), but it would be a good way to add to your resume, build more multi time, and renew your CFI! I have even heard of people adding a sea-plane instructor rating to renew expired CFI certificates.

Roscoe

Hi Roscoe, thanks for the information! Based on 61.199 it seems like you’re right! I may need to see if I’m eligible for MEI checkride and if that can reinstate my expired CFI, CFII. Thank you so much!

1 Like

Sumin,

One question I have, are you current in flying at this time. You state you have 720 hours, but if you don’t have a flight review conducted in the last 24 calendar months, you’re going to need that for step 1. I think reaching out to a local flight school if they have a twin-engine, get current and PROFICIENT again in procedures/operations/emergencies etc. and then reaching for your MEI is a good step. I don’t think going back through and taking another CFI initial checkride is going to beneficial and in worst case scenario, you could unsat the checkride just to regain your CFI initial certificate.

The other route would be to join some online forums through Facebook, Climbto350, and some others and try as Hannah mentioned, P135, Survey, Pipeline, Arieal Photography…

Brady

Thank you, Brady.

Yes I’m going to have the flight review soon. I’ll make myself proficient in all the procedures, operations including emergencies procedures. I want to go for MEI for sure but not sure if the checkride is going to be a full checkride that includes FOI or will that be an add-on checkride as if I have a cfi certificate already(i know it’s expired). Either way, I’ll also take you and Hannah’s suggestions, flying for 135, Pipeline etc. Thank you so much for the information :slight_smile:

Sumin,

Let me ask you a question? You’re a DE who’s job is to make certain a pilot is capable and safe to perform the duties and responsibilities of the certificate you’re issuing, in this case an MEI. The applicant has a CFI but hasn’t flown or exercised it’s privileges for some time and you (as a DE) are aware that issuing their MEI will also restore their CFI (arguably the cert with the greatest responsibility). Would you let them go with just a VMC manuever and some single engine stuff?

Adam

Sumin,

You’ll want to take a look in the PTS, but I imagine for an MEI with an expired CFI and CFII you’ll have to not only meet the requirements of the MEI but do all the PTS requirements for the CFI as well, just in the ME airplane. So that’s FOI’s and lesson plans on the oral, plus ME aerodynamics. Then in the flight portion, teaching maneuvers, landings and single engine work. The MEI is by far the most dangerous certificate for a new CFI, so don’t take the prospect of getting everything current in one ride lightly.

Hannah

Great! That makes sense. I always prioritize safety above all else. It may take a considerable amount of time to build proficiency in multi-engine flying! Thanks Hannah :slight_smile: (FOI is the hardest part for me btw)