Are pilots able to stand up and stretch their legs during long flights?

Are pilots able to stand up and stretch their legs during long flights or do they need to be seated barring bathroom breaks? If it is okay to stand up, how often is it reasonable to do so? Alternatively, how many continuous hours of sitting is typical?

Thank you!

Tom,

Not only can (and do we) stand up and stretch our legs, on flights over 8hrs we actually have an RO (Relief Officer) and we each get a break a third of the time. Most modern widebodies have rest modules for sleep which are actually quite cozy or you can relax in First Class.

For shorter flights sure you can stand up, stretch, etc pretty much as often as you like in cruise.

Adam

1 Like

Thanks Adam, that’s great to hear!

Adam,

Are relief officers typically captains or FOs, or does it not matter?

Ben

1 Like

Ben,

FOs. It’s a whole lot cheaper to pay 2 FOs than 2 Capts.

Adam

4 Likes

Tom,

I would point out that in most regional jets, it is not possible to stand and stretch your legs, the cockpits are just too small and the ceilings are not high enough. There are some perks to flying the big boys.

Chris

2 Likes

Ben,

At my airline, the first relief pilot is another First Officer, but if the flight is so long that it requires four pilots, there will be two complete crews, meaning two Captains and two First Officers. Of course of the two Captains, there is still one that is the official Pilot in Command.

Chris

4 Likes

Hi Ben!

If I want to stand and stretch I have to coordinate a break with the flight attendants or wait until after the flight. Most of our flights are short enough to where waiting makes more sense, but on the longer flights (over 2 hours) I usually request a bathroom break during cruise.

Tory

2 Likes