Just out of curiosity🤔

Quick question… How does it work on long haul flights where there are 3 or 4 pilots? I’m sure the pilot who takes off doesn’t fly the entire time (8 to 13 hour flights)… Just wondering

LaMorris

LaMorris,

Any flight longer than 8hrs requires an addition pilot, over 12 requires 2. The flight time will be divided in 3 or 4 segments accordingly and each pilot will get a rest break. All aircraft capable of flying those leg lengths must have appropriate rest facilities. It can be as simple be a curtained off First Class seat but in the Airbus we actually have a very nice lower crew rest pod that has bunks for each crewmember.

Adam

1 Like

Ah, ok. Thanks @Adam

LaMorris

@Adam, is it true that the pilot who takes off has to land as well?

LaMorris

Yes. Every flight one pilot is the “pilot flying” (PF) the other is the “pilot monitoring” (PM). The PF flies the whole trip takeoff through landing. The PM performs all other duties, communication, navigation, getting weather etc. AND most important monitors the pilot flying. It’s most common to switch duties after each leg.

Adam

1 Like

Thanks @Adam

LaMorris

Adam

So to add to this question, does that mean on these Ultra-Long haul flights the “PF” and “PM” rule still applies? meaning the “PF” will rest during the trip and then land at the final destination? Also for trip credit for pay and for hours logged; say it is a 12hr flight, does all 4 pilots log 12hrs and get 12hrs credit for pay as well?

Kenroy.

2 Likes

Kenroy,

Pilot responsibilities (PF or PM) are not really a rule, it is just how things are commonly done. The Captain always has the discretion to change things as he or she sees fit.

Even in a three or four pilot cockpit, typically whoever takes off will also land.

For pay credit, all of the pilots will receive pay for the entire flight. As far as logging flight hours, I only log the time when I am in the cockpit, others log all of it, it is personal preference. To be honest, most people at that point in their careers have long since stopped logging flight time.

Chris

1 Like

@Kapache007, thanks for asking that question. It was actually next on the list! :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

@Chris, thanks for the response

Thanks for the reply @Chris. No problem @lamorris85 :+1:t5:

1 Like

Generally all the responses are very true, but I have had some crews break up the trip into 2 parts. On the 747, I’ve had 13 hour trips where we basically flew half the trip and let the other crew finish. In this case, the crew taking off didn’t do the landing. It all depends on the crew, but I have typically seen the operating crew during takeoff also act as the operating crew in landing phase as posted above.

1 Like

Oh wow. Thanks @twapilot