Arrest without conviction

Hello everyone

I’m 33 years old and I have a Bachelor’s degree from back home Istanbul Turkey
I have been married for 5 years with one child. I have been in United States for 11 years. I became a US citizen in 2013. Being a pilot is been always my dream job. I was thinking to start my pilot school soon but I was worried if I can’t get a job because of my arrest.

In 2009 I was arrested and charged with felony, misdemeanor and simple assault.
In 2010 I was arrested and charged with criminal threatening. all these charges were false reported to police by my ex girlfriend.
All charges were dismissed by prosecutor, cases didn’t go for trial, didn’t even see a judge.
I have never done any drugs in my entire life, Never steal anything, no speeding ticket at all ( VERY CLEAN in life ) but unfortunately my arrest record is bothering me a lot.

I called Express Jet and Republic airline and asked them about it:
One of them said, we have regulations from TSA and FBI that we follow. The other one said it depends what charges and if they were 10 years or older it should be ok.

I called the FBI and asked them if I get my record expunged would they still show, they said no, even though I’m not going to lie. I still have to be honest and tell them about everything. Not sure if it helps to get my record expunged .

Last: I thought about getting my commercial pilot license and go back home and work there if I can’t get a job here.

Now I don’t know if I should cancel my dream job and go to a different direction or should I follow my dream.
Please let me know if you have any advice and sorry for making this long.

Thank you

Mike,

Airlines as a rule don’t like felonies, particularly more than one. I’m not sure how you can say “VERY CLEAN in life” with assault arrests? (the airlines would prefer the speeding tickets).That said there’s this significant pilot shortage going on and people who never would have a chance are getting hired. If this situation continues there’s a good chance someone would hire you (might not be your first choice) but there are no guarantees. That said when it comes to the Majors that’s a whole other conversation. There are far too many qualified applicants without felony arrests so there’s zero incentive for them to hire you, but again you never really know? If you think you would do better in Turkey then by all means. Your call.

Adam

Mike,

Were both the charges in 2009 and 2010 dropped? Were you ever convicted of anything? I just want to be sure before I answer.

Chris

Yes Chris, both charges in 2009 and 2010 dropped, I didn’t get convicted at all.

Thank you

Thank you for you response, Adam .
When I say very clean in life, my understanding is any one could get arrested for being at the wrong place at the wrong time but the final say from court is what matters. I think my record consider clear since I didn’t get convicted of anything. Again this is how I see it, I could be wrong but this is what I was told when all my cases were dropped.

Mike,

Some of the airlines ask about convictions, some ask about arrests, which I think is highly unfair and should be illegal. That being said, as you were never convicted, I think you should be fine. Find a way to explain the situation that is truthful, but does not blame the police and make sure that you continue to keep that record clean moving forward.

I would also stay as far away from that ex-girlfriend as possible.

I think you will be fine, but the caveat is that I cannot speak on behalf of the airlines.

Chris

Mike,

If in fact that’s the case (I read it as only the second arrest was dropped) and you remain clean I agree with Chris you should be fine.

Adam

Adam, Chris. Thank you very much for your response and for your time, I can not describe my happy feelings that my arrest record will not stop me from getting a pilot job.

I have a question please about the Aviation English level .
As you know English is my second language.
I know the English in aviation is the most important to be able to communicate with towers and pilots around the world.

How well do I have to know English speaking, reading, and writing?

Do pilots have to do reports on a daily basis ?

Thank you

Yes Chris, I have been far a way from my ex- girlfriend, now I’m married to the most wonderful women who supports my career, and I’m keeping my record clean.

Mike,

If you speak English anywhere near as well as you write it, you will be perfectly fine.

No reports, only when incidents happen (not as big of a deal as it sounds).

Chris

Very good!!

Thank you for your time.