Aviation College vs ATP

Hey all thank you for taking time and reading this. So I’m a sophomore in high school and I want to be an airline pilot! I will be doing my ppl this winter so hopefully that will go well! But I’m wondering about the future… so I’ve been looking at different options and it seems like there are 2.

Either go to ATP get an online degree in something like business (or anything useful) and get to the airlines right at 21 or go to an aviation college like und or erau and get the 4 year degree and the flight training.

So I’m torn on what to do obviously I have time but still would like to have a plan I’ve heard the goods and bads from both sides so I’m not too sure

Ps do the airlines care if you have a degree online and not in aviation

Cullen,

First the answer is no. While the Majors want a degree (and so should you as you’re so young and should have a backup in case aviation doesn’t work out either by choice or circumstance), they neither desire nor require a degree in aviation.

Next we’re not really fans of aviation degrees. They’re expensive and again provide little or no backup.

Finally we ALWAYS recommend completing your degree first before flight training (or at least 2yrs), particularly ATP. It’s best to just stay in school since you’re already in learning mode and many find it challenging to return to school after they’re already working. Also keep in mind the program is extremely accelerated and with only HS behind you, chances are you have little experience in this type of learning environment where a tremendous amount of discipline and focus is required.

Ultimately it’s up to you and your parents but again we recommend school first, training after.

Adam

1 Like

Cullen,

Reading comprehension is very important to becoming a pilot. I answered your question above.

Adam

This was your last question.

And no, working and going to school would not be “easier” than going to school THEN working. Further if you want to instruct for ATP you wouldn’t have the time.

Adam

If you don’t get your college degree before flight training then you will have to wait to take college classes when you are at a regional.

Tory

You could if you are willing to spend the high price for those colleges for a degree in aviation, which by the way doesn’t give you advantage nor does it give you something to fall back on if for whatever reason aviation doesn’t work out for you.

Again, we don’t recommend aviation colleges. The most successful approach that we’ve seen is college first (non-aviation degree), then flight training. If you don’t like that idea, an alternative would be to postpone your degree until you get on with a regional.

Taking college classes while building hours as a CFI is harder than it sounds. Instructing is a full-time job. Your students expect their Instructors to be available for them, especially at ATP. You will have much more free time to earn your degree while at a regional.

This is what we would recommend, but this decision is for you to make.

Tory

Cullen,

You seem to be plagued with “get-there-itus”. While you may be thinking about the fastest way to get to be an airline pilot, you’re neglecting the fact that there are other factors that will effect your success.

1. Age. It’s great you’re driven and have a plan in high school, however, there are admission requirements you must be able to meet to start ATP. You must have an Associates degree, 60+ college credits or equivalent work experience. This requirement is to protect your investment. You may think you’re ready for the rigors of a professional airline career pilot program but typically applicants right out of high school just don’t have the life experience and study skills to be successful. It’s a highly accelerated and very difficult program.

Plus even if you could be admitted in to the program, you would be reaching 1500 hours close to turning 20 years old. You can’t even hold a R-ATP until you’re 21.

1. Going to an aviation college may seem efficient since you’re getting a degree alongside college. However, it’s really not efficient or cost effective. Your aviation degree won’t be worth anything once you get furloughed and are looking for a job outside of aviation. You need a degree that provides a backup job. Aviation degrees are in the 6 figures expense wise and you only finish with a CFI or ME rating.

A). So with 4 years you have an aviation degree (providing no backup), more than $200k of debt, and 4 ratings with no job after graduation or cadet programs.

Or

B). Doing the college (in-state tuition or community college programs) then atp route in 4 years and 7 months you end up with $100k in debt, 7 ratings, a degree that provides a back up career and a job as a flight instructor with dozens of cadet programs with tuition reimbursement and bonuses.

If you’re really wanting to make up time, take summer classes and load up your semesters and finish your bachelors in 3 or 3 and a half years so that you can still have a college degree and ATP complete in 4 years and building time after that.

I know it seems like your plan is the right way but trust the advice of the mentors here. We advise people like you every day in the best most efficient path to accomplishing their dream of becoming an airline pilot. Overall success for the length of your career is the goal, not speed. There’s a reason we recommend one path over another. It’s because we’ve been where you’re at and are currently where you want to be. We can see the big picture. At the end of the day though, it’s your decision and your choice to follow our advice or not.

Hannah

1 Like

Cullen,

College is about so much more than just getting a piece of paper, much of it is teaching you life experiences that will help you in your career. Getting to a place first is not always best.

Honestly, I think your best move now would be to focus on your classes in high school. Your writing skills need significant work. Your last post did not contain a single punctuation mark, had numerous capitalization errors, and improper contraction usage. It is actually difficult to understand what point you are trying to convey because the errors are so overpowering compared to your message. I say this not to be difficult or rude, but to point out to you that how you present yourself matters, including how you do so in written form. If you wrote an airline cover letter like you write your posts, your whole resume and application would go straight in the trash.

Chris