ATP Qualifications

Hello to all who will read this! I have kind of a simple question to ask of people who have gone through or are currently going through this program. I’ve always wanted to be a pilot since I was a little kid and got on my first plane, I know plenty who fear planes but I’ve always been fascinated by them. I’m currently in the army and have about a year and some change left but I’m closer to getting out then to when I started so I’m looking at my options. My job in the army doesn’t have anything to do with aviation besides being airborne meaning I jump out of planes. I have only a semester of college under my belt and zero experience flying. I also have a G.E.D and not a high school diploma. I was wondering if because of this, will I still be able to be admitted into this school? I read in a brochure that they sent me recently that if I don’t have an associates it can be bypassed by military experience but I’m not sure if that means some type of aviation military experience or military in general. I would appreciate any responses, thank you for reading all this.

Alejandro,

Welcome to the forums. Your military work experience should be fine, subject of course to approval form the admissions department. While you do not need a college degree for the regionals, you will most certainly need one for the majors. The good news is that you will have plenty of time while working for the regionals to complete one.

Chris

I was just accepted into ATP with no aviation experience and no degree - had 7 years of unrelated work experience, I just had to send over my resume and a high school transcript!

TJ Good Luck to you buddy, Keep the updates
coming! :raised_hands:t4: :smiley:

When you say “college degree,” are you referring to a 4-yr bachelor’s degree or a 2-yr associate?

4-yr bachelor’s degree for the major airlines

but only a two year degree, equivalent work experience, or a PPL for ATP’s requirements

Legitimate question here. Is a 20-yr military retirement with 2 Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) degrees sufficient “work experience?”

Jeremy,

ATP will also accept military service as a qualifier.

Adam

When the term “college degree” is used in the private sector, it means a four year degree.

Your experience will be fine for admittance into ATP’s program, but you will still need a four year degree if you plan on applying to the airlines outside of a flow through program.

Chris

Let me clarify that by saying you will need a four year degree for the major airlines, but there is no degree requirement for the regional airlines.