College Vs Military experience

Good afternoon, my name is Rob and I am about 18 months away from retiring from the Navy. I am enlisted and when I retire I will have been in for about 21 yrs. I have spent a career around aviation flying as a systems operator in the back of the P3 and now P8. I am close to an associates degree and am looking to start a new career in aviation, this time in front of the plane.
I read a post here earlier stating the importance of a BA degree and I was wondering if prior military experience would “count” as a degree or not. Thank you for your time

Robert,

While we all have the utmost respect for those who have served their country, the question on the application is “do you have a 4yr degree?”. It’s a yes or no question and the answer will determine which pile your application is placed in.

Adam

1 Like

Robert,

Military experience, while honorable, is not the same as a four year degree. Think of the question in the inverse, would a four year degree count as military experience?

Remember that there are many military members applying to the airlines, many of them pilot-officers with degrees, you will need to be competitive with them as well.

Chris

1 Like

Robert,

I would say while the associates degree is a step forward, a bachelors would serve you better if you can do it. Like the others said, a military background is honourable, but competitively (and in todays time when “hiring is slowing down”) a degree can make- or break-it against another candidate.

Do you hold any FAA certificates for flying (other than flight engineer, if you were required). A program like ATP would be best for you to accelerate if you don’t hold anything more than a private pilot and can expedite your journey forward.

Brady

Brady,

I do not hold any FAA certificates and am currently researching my opportunities. I have another 18 months before I retire and will be doing everything I can to prepare in the mean time. ATP is at the top of my list of schools and based on my research provides great opportunities. Thank you for the information.

Hey Robert, Admissions here!

First and foremost, Thank you for your service!
It looks like you are wanting to plan ahead of your separation and you must have many questions. Please feel free to give us a call at your convenience so that we may better assist you and cover all concerns.

ATP Admissions is available M-F 8am-7pm EST and our phone number is 904-595-7950.