Attend ATP with Instrument Rating

Hello,

Does ATP accept new students with an Instrument Rating?

Thank you

Josie

Hey Josefa,

We do accept new students that currently hold their Instrument Rating! You will want to contact our admissions department at 904-595-7950 so that we can send you a “Custom Program” google form to fill out with the contents of your logbook. Once our operations department looks it over, we will call you back with a custom quote and duration to finish the rest of your ratings.

Hope this helps!

Addison

1 Like

Josefa,

A fellow student who started the same day as me began with his instrument rating. At the time the only options were to start from Zero or with Private. It had been 4 years or so since he got his Instrument Rating and he was not Instrument Current - so going through the program as if he did not have his IR was really good proficiency training for him! At the end of the Instrument phase instead of taking a Instrument Checkride he did a IPC and then moved on to the Commercial phase of training. Now ATP has the custom program which will be even more flexible to your needs - but either way jump right in and go for it!

-Sean

1 Like

Thank you for all answers. If my goal was to teach for ATP, how would I increase my chances to successfully do so? I’m thinking if I don’t go through ATPs full instrument training, would that hamper my chances to go through CFII school? Do you still charge the flat fee for going through an IPC vs the entire instrument rating curriculum? Any insight is appreciated

Josefa,

A few things to clarify:

First off, if you start the program with an Instrument Rating you will only receive credit for your Private Pilot Certificate. After you complete the instrument portion of the program, you will receive an IPC from your Instructor. Then you will proceed with the rest of the program. The cost of the program for credit for private is on ATP’s website.

Second, there is no CFII school. ATP offers CFI school. Upon completion of CFI school and a successful pass on your CFI checkride you will then complete the last few phases of the program which includes MEI, CMEL, and CFII. The CFII is just a rating that’s added to your CFI certificate.

The best way anyone can increase their chances of teaching for ATP is passing every checkride. In addition to that it would also help to maintain good relationships with your peers, the staff, management and even participating on this forum.

Tory

1 Like

Josefa,
Coming in with your Instrument you’d have a custom program starting at commercial single, then CFI, CFII, Comm multi and MEI. As for increasing your chances of getting hired in as an instructor afterwards the best you can do is pass all
Your checkrides first attempt, finish your program on time and with good recommendations from the training staff team.

-Hannah

2 Likes

Is ATP still offering custom programs? If so, @j.lt sorry for the confusion. If that’s the case, then the only thing that changes is that you will jump straight into CSEL training.

If you aren’t current when you start the program then I strongly suggest receiving a BFR and IPC beforehand. If there are any gaps in your knowledge or deficiencies in your flying, you will struggle.

Tory

1 Like

Tory,

ATP is doing custom programs, we have a current student just doing his CMEL training at our location.

Also, love the new coffee pot selfie you have there. I gave a little chuckle once I realized what it was!

Brady

2 Likes

:grin: Hehe

1 Like

Hi everyone

Thank you for all your help and advise. This answers my questions that I had and I can’t wait to enroll with ATP

1 Like

We look forward to hearing about your experiences!