Question about gaining ratings outside of ATP

Hello everyone
I am looking at starting ATP sometime later this year but I have some questions. 1st I am in the middle of my private and should finish that certificate very soon but I’m wondering if it would be smart for me to also complete my instrument training outside of ATP? Also if I did end up doing this I’m wondering if I would save any time or money, or if I would basically need to go over this again with ATP. My current flight school offers complex instrument training. Is this enough for ATP’s and FAA’s standards or would one or both require me to do instrument training at ATP instead?

Nick,

I’m curious why you’re waiting to start at ATP and more important why if you have decided to do your training you’re wanting to continue training elsewhere? Most people choose ATP due to their reputation and the quality of the training. I can understand if you want to finish your PPL because you’ve already invested your time I can understand that, but if you believe you can get that level of training elsewhere, for less money, why go to ATP at all?

Adam

Nick,

ATP has two starting points, zero hours or with PPL. Occasionally in the past they have created custom programs for people who already have their instrument rating, but that is not the norm.

If your are looking to attend ATP, then I would suggest finishing your PPL and starting right afterwards. ATP would most likely have you go through your instrument training again, so this would cost you much more money. I can guarantee you that nobody will get you an instrument rating as fast as ATP will, or be as thorough with your training.

There is more to it than jut having a rating as well. ATP’s program is designed to all fit together. In the instrument phase you are also meeting criteria for the commercial license, etc. If you were to come in with your instrument, it is likely that not all of those boxed would be checked, thus costing you more.

Chris

Hi Adam
Original I wanted to start ATP at the beginning of this year but I’m unable to start right now due to the fact I was denied for funding from SM both with and without a cosigner. If I had my choice I would start ASAP because of ATPs reputation

Hi Chris
Thank you for helping to clarify this I was not aware about how each step of ATP’s program worked together to work towards the next rating

Nick,

No problem. Let us know how else we can help you.

Chris

Nick,

Bummer about having to wait but again if in fact you believe ATP is the right path then it makes sense to do the bulk of your training with ATP so you can actually have the maximum benefit from the program.

Adam

Nick,
It seems like right now, the local school is your only option. I would continue with your private and talk to the finance department about your options. I don’t know your specific financial situation but I wouldn’t stop in the middle of your rating regardless. Once you finish private you’re at a crossroads. If you figure out a way to be approved for the loan, jump right in to ATP. If you’re not still getting approved, you may have to continue rating by rating at a local school and pay as you go. It may not be as efficient but you can still pursue flight training.
-Hannah

1 Like