Becoming a pilot at 52?

Hello
Id like to find out some ‘real world’ answers to my question.
I will not be offended no matter how blunt the answer(s) are!

I am a Navy vet as an aircraft tech and started flying 30 years ago. I recently picked it up again and am about to finish my ppl.

Would I be a viable candidate to any of the major airlines?
Im ok flying corporate or cargo as well, just wanted to see what my expectations should be?

Any input is highly appreciated.

David,

How old are you?

Chris

I am 52

David,

If you really want blunt Id encourage you to check any of the 864,421 threads on the subject :wink:

There’s a pilot shortage so the airlines are hiring like crazy. Even the Majors and they’re taking folks older then they ever have. The caveat of course is you’ve got to be realistic about your expectations.

You’re 52 with your PPL. If you start now with ATP that puts you at a Regional at 54ish. Get hired by a Major at 56-58 which leaves less than 10yrs of seniority to get wherever you’re going to get. If that’s cool with you then by all means but if you’re fantasizing about being a 787 Capt flying to Asia that’s not going to happen. A friend of mine is an instructor at SWA. He told me there was a 60yo newhire. While that’s great that pilot will never make Capt and knows it.

Adam

Oh Chris… (shaking my head)…

Adam

Ahhh……

The rookie mistake of not checking prior threads…

Sorry about that

No sorry, but you did ask for brutal honesty. Just trying to be accommodating :slight_smile:

Adam

Adam,

You know there’s an emoji for (shaking my head) = :man_facepalming:t2: . LOL

Brady

1 Like

And there’s an acronym… smh :woman_facepalming:

Hannah

3 Likes

And you both know there’s a reason I dislike the youth of America…

Adam

3 Likes

Hah, shame on me for not seeing the age on the title. I should have read more closely.

At 52, you still have time left, but arguable not that much. You could potentially make it to the majors, but the odds are slim and you will certainly never be a captain at a major. That being said, you could have a very rewarding career as a pilot at the regionals and pay there has gone up dramatically in the last year. I would check out some of the pay rates and signing bonuses for regional pilots on www.airlinepilotcentral.com you might be very pleasantly surprised.

Chris

David,

IMHO, age is not an issue as much as health, and getting and maintaining a 2nd class or 1st class medical.

Please note there is life besides the majors. There are several non-major employers offering good salaries, benefits and QOL.

Please get on it and don’t stop. Go follow with dreams and achieve your goals.

Best of luck,
An Old Man

1 Like

Age is an issue when it comes to the airlines and even in the corporate world it matters to an extent. Fair or not, people do not want a senior citizen flying their family around.

Chris

I wanted to second this comment as an (almost) 52yo myself who spent the last year exploring the viability. First piece of advice I got was to get that first class medical done…because I learned in my case it would require special issuance which could eat another year to two into the timeline…and still no guarantee of results.

1 Like

Really appreciate everyones comments.
Definitely something to think about.

Im pretty fortunate that medical wont be an issue for me (at least for a while), so at least I have that going for me.

I started reaching out to some airlines as well just to get some direct feedback.

Thanks again for the honest feedback

1 Like

Again, there is life besides the majors. I am and many others are a testament of this. It is sad to hear a comment about age being a detraction or distraction for getting a flying job. I’ve flown outside of airport terminals (meaning not majors) around the nation, South and Central America, and you will be surprise the amount of oldies but goodies like us flying other 121 and 135. FAA medical, determination, dedication and fortitude is what is going to carry you through the goal. Not age!

I will leave it to you. Age should not be impediment for you to pursue your dreams!

Go get it,
An Old Man

IMHO, this comment is out of line! People do not want a senior citizen flying their family around? Sorry, out of line.

Sir, I hope you never get old…

Ramon,

As an “older” pilot I agree with you to some degree that there can be life after or beyond the airlines.

The problem as I see it (and the reason I ALWAYS talk about managing your expectations) is because the question most often comes from people starting later in life. There are literally thousands of airline pilots retiring over the next few years. Many of whom would like to keep flying. Those pilots have tens of thousands of hours and decades of experience. Whether it’s corporate or cargo, they’ll be getting the nod before someone who started just a few years ago. Again there are jobs beyond 65 but there’s also ALOT of really talented competition.

Adam

The plan is to get old and retire.

Adam,

I totally understand. I have been flying professionally for 41 years. However, one thing is managing expectations and another thing is making such out of line comments about senior citizens in aviation. That was so disrespectful in some many levels that I am going to log off for good. In our business, we do not need that kind of individuals with that kind of attitudes. Always remember, what goes around, comes around. This is a very small world. Period.

I wish you all a happy life and the very best.

God Bless,
Ramon