Before attending ATP

Hello,

I just want to make sure I know what I need to be doing before I attend ATP. Right now I am working on finishing up my Kings Schools videos and then passing the written test while also getting my first 40 hours of flight time in. I was wondering if there is anything else I need to do before going to school? Also is there any expectations I have to meet that aren’t necessarily required but very much preferred?

Jordan,

Not sure what you mean by “getting your first 40hrs of flight time in”? ATPs only hour requirement is to have 78+ IF you’re getting credit for your PPL?

Adam

I was under the impression that I only needed 40 in order to take my first written test. Is it 78?

Jordan,

You need ZERO hours to take the written test (or any of the required knowledge exams). You need a minimum of 40yrs to take the PPL flight test to earn your PPL. If you have your PPL AND 78hrs you can start the program with credit for your PPL.

Adam

Jordan,

Airman Knowledge Tests can be taken once you receive an instructor endorsement; however, they are only valid for 24 calendar months. See below a little “guide” on AKTs:

Furthermore, to enter ATP with Credit Private, you must meet these current prerequisites (subject to change):

Brady

I’m assuming starting the program with 78 hours and my PPL would give me a big advantage right?

Jordan,

Personally I think it’s the contrary. IF you’ve decided ATP is the best route for you to do your training with, why would you do your primary (arguably the most important phase) training elsewhere vs starting Day 1 doing things right?

The only time I recommend getting your PPL elsewhere is if you’re uncertain of your commitment or ability.

Adam

Jordan,

I’m assuming you’ve already completed all the admission requirements: intro flight, medical, financing, etc. If you’ve decided to start zero time, no flight time
Is required. Just work on getting as many written exams done as you can. Study the aircraft supplement and have the first day tasks completed.

Hannah

@Hannah @Adam

Then in that case, do you guys think I am wasting my time and money on training right now? Just for reference I am kinda just starting out and only have about 5 hours of total flight time. I was under the impression that I should be flying as much as possible to get my hours up while studying for the written tests.

Jordan,

If you signed up for zero time, yes you are wasting your time. If you signed up for credit private, you will need to complete your PPL and have 78 hours of flight time to transition right in to instrument training.

Hannah

Jordan,

I would stop immediately. Again you’ve decided ATP is the best route for you to become a professional pilot. Why not build your foundation with the program you’ve chosen?

Provided of course you meet one of the other program requirements.

On that note Jordan I’m a little concerned toy mistakenly believed you needed hours to take the written exam. This has been discussed often on this forum and is also pretty well covered on the ATP website. PLEASE spend some qt reading through the ENTIRE ATP website and if anything is unclear, PLEASE don’t hesitate to ask.

Adam

Adam,

I think I was just a little confused, I meant I need 40 hours to become a certified private pilot which is what I thought I needed prior to enrolling in ATP. Thank you for your help I’m very very new to this whole scene and the language is all very new to me as well. I’m doing my best to figure it all out.

Jordan,

Okay, let me clear the 40-hour Private Pilot discussion. Yes, you need a MINIMUM of 40 hours to be an applicant for the Private Pilot checkride to receive the certificate; however, NOT everyone can do it in 40 hours exactly, the average I believe is around 60 or so. An individual attending ATP can expect to complete their Private Pilot around mid 70’s and this is solely because ATP wants learners (no longer referred to as student) to be successful in passing a checkride and have the skills/knowledge/proficiency to continue moving forward. When you go to a checkride, there are three outcomes: Satisfactory, Unsatisfactory or Discontinuance.

There have been discussions within the previous months where individuals turned away a training program like ATP and had remorse towards the decision. This is why we strongly recommend digging deep into the “why” and “what” a program consists of and choosing the best school from the get-go should be a highly valued item on the list of “to-do.” The cost of learning to fly is not cheap and sometimes going to a smaller-scale school (like a mom-and-pop) can bring the challenges of financial ruts. In aviation we learn a lot from those that have tried and/or made mistake(s) in the past - a lot of the “why’s” we do today have come from accidents in the past.

Like Adam mentioned, I would highly suggest spending quality time throughout ATP’s website and the forum here to gather as much information. As always, please ask if in doubt.

Brady

Brady,

Thanks to you, Hannah and Adam, I have decided that the smartest option for me would to join the school starting from zero experience rather than as a certified pilot. If I were to finance my own 78 hours then it would take me a really long time and I would rather get it done at ATP so I am recording the same training as all my peers would.