Can an 11 year old take flight school?

I’m wondering for myself to see if I could participate in ATP flight school as an 11 year old. I have done research and have a plan to fly for a commercial airline by 23 but I’d have to start soon. So could I take and graduate from ATP flight school.

Mateo,

A couple of things. First, the min age for ATP is 18. Second if you did do your research you’d know that if you want to fly for an airline by 23, there’s absolutely no reason to start training now or any time soon. The min age for a student license is 16 so you’re at least 5yrs from that.

At 11 you need to relax, do well in school and enjoy your childhood. The flying will come later but if you’re particularly interested I recommend you look into the Civil Air Patrol. They have some great programs for young people. https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/

Adam

2 Likes

Mateo,

Great to see you so enthusiastic about aviation! Your time will come. For now, go flying when you can, volunteer at your local airport and do well in school.

Hannah

2 Likes

Mateo,

While the minimum age to begin ATP’s program is 18, we also recommend getting a 4-year degree as well as a backup plan.

At your age you could take advantage of a running start program in high school, if available, to expedite that process.

Tory

Mateo,

I would recommend looking into STEM programs. I know my hometown airport back started a flight school and works closely with individuals similar to your age (Middle & High School) - which allows individuals to get a look at what aviation is about, peaking interest.

Brady