Can I get into a major pilot one day by going into a community college?

Hello, I am currently in my junior year of high school and will be going into my senior year soon. Unfortunately, my sat scores are poorly low. The bright side is, my grades are pretty good. Being in the major airlines is one of my high-tier goal since when I was 4 because I am South Korean, and I have always been traveling back and forth three times a year. I know I have some time to apply to colleges, but if whatever reason I still can’t get into any 4-year college, and attend a community college, will I still be able to achieve my primary goal of being a pilot?

Thank you.

-Jean

Jean,

Major airlines want a 4yr degree however they really don’t care which college or university you attend as long as it’s legit. A 2yr community college is fine to start but you will need to obtain a Bachelor’s degree. Do well in community and then transferring your credits is a common practice. You can even complete school online.

Adam

1 Like

If I were you, I wouldn’t apply to a 4-year college at all. You’ll save a lot of money (tens of thousands of dollars) going to community college, getting a transfer degree, and then finishing the last 2 years at a 4-year school.

The degree you get from there won’t say something like “Went to community college first”. There’s also no shame since it’s the smart thing to do financially. Only time I would recommend a 4-year university straight out of high school is if you have a full ride.

1 Like

If you still want to go to a 4-year school, I suggest retaking the SAT later on this year like in August. Many students if they do well on the first attempt tend to take a second test to see if they can improve.

Jean,

Like previously stated, going to a community college does not look bad. Take the lower level classes that will transfer to a four year degree. When it is time for you to transfer to the four year school you will be better off financially and be able to focus on the classes you want to take for your Bachelors degree. The community college also gives you time to figure out what you want your degree in. Talk to a community college counselor to help guide you in the right direction.

Jean,
First I’d retake your SAT. Often students see improvements from their first score to the second. Then, if you’re still concerned at getting in, apply to state schools or community colleges. The airlines won’t care where you get your degree as long as it’s from an accredited school.

-Hannah

A lot of Community Colleges have deals with 4yr schools where after getting your Associates, you can get your 4yr degree through a partnership program between the 4yr school and Community College.

It’s a pretty affordable route, and most Airlines want to see a 4yr degree.

Chris F

Jean,

There is absolutely nothing wrong with going to a community college, as long as you later transfer to a full college and complete a four year degree. In fact, this is a great way to save money, while still accomplishing your goal of having a degree.

Chris