Can you apply for a pilot job to a base

Hello everyone,

I have a question about applying for a job to regional airlines. For example, there is a regional airline with 20 bases around the country.
If I apply to this airline, will they assign me for ANY base? Is there a possibility to apply to the specific base?

Rusian,

When you get hired at an airline (Regional or Major) you will be based where they need you. If that’s only one single base that’s where you’re going. If there are multiple bases that need pilots you’ll bid for those bases within your class based on your seniority within the class (usually DOB or last 4 of social). Throughout the year the airline will have Vacancy bids that will give you the opportunity to change bases if you’re not happy with the one you have. If there are openings at that base and you’re seniority can hold it you’ll be awarded it.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you so much Adam for the quick and detailed respond!

Adam,

Can Regionals shift you to different DBAs, for example, if you fly or SkyWest, one month your flying with United Express, then 3 months later they shift you to American Eagle both at their ORD base? Or do Regionals basically keep you in one brand your entire time with that Regional?

Alex

Alex,

Yes, Regionals that serve multiple carriers (particularly if they share a base) will often have you flying for different Majors. It can change monthly or even by the trip while others will lock you in to one specific carrier depending many factors. When I was at ExpressJet EWR EMB145 ops were all United where ATL CRJ was exclusively Delta.

Adam

Adam,

Good to know. If I’m ever in that position, I hope I don’t accidentally say “Thank you for flying with us here at American, we really appropriate your business…” over the intercom when I’m flying for United Express that particular day/route. :rofl:

Sam

1 Like

Sam,

I have heard that happen a few times before. Don’t worry, most people do not listen to our PAs anyways.

Chris

6 Likes

Sam,

I have a standard line I tell my FOs practically on a daily basis when they make a minor error, “if that’s the worse thing you ever do in an airplane you’re doing well”.

Adam

3 Likes

Do Regionals have their own uniforms or do they use the uniforms of the Majors for with they contract with? If they use the uniform of the Majors, would I then be required to have a different uniform for all of the Majors that the Regional has contracts with? Thanks.

Alex,

Regional pilots wear the union from of the Regional they fly for not the Major they support. You’d have a single uniform regardless of the operation. No need to worry about putting on the wrong tie.

Adam

1 Like

Alex,

I believe that all of the regionals have their own uniforms.

Chris

Not that it makes much of a difference in knowing what to wear, but Horizon will be wearing Alaska’s new uniform, starting January 2020.

Tory