CFI rating troubles

Hello,

I am commercial pilot with all the ratings (ASEL, AMEL, Instrument) and I obtained a CFII as my initial (extremely rare, but possible). I tried applying to various flight schools and they all require both CFI-A and CFII. I have been working on the CFI-A for about three months now and I have failed the checkride twice without even getting past the oral. After a further fifteen lessons with the chief CFI and three others, it was recommended that I terminate the training. He said that this rating is likely outside of my “natural abilities as a pilot”, he could not see me passing a checkride and that I have not demonstrated much improvement talking my way through the maneuvers, and at this point, I’m inclined to agree. I don’t want to appear as one of those folks who is too stubborn to instruct, I have spent hours everyday studying and in the airplane trying to make this work and even the chief acknowledged this. The issue is that I only have about 400 hours which isn’t really enough for anything other than instructing. I’ve exhausted every job board and connection I have trying to find alternative pilot employment to no avail.

I’ve never encountered issues like this with any other license rating, in fact I found doing my CFII initial as the easiest license yet but since this was my 2nd and 3rd bust (1st due to poor short field landing on PPL checkride), all but axing my chances of reaching a major one day, my question is, do you think there is any way or reason to continue pursuing a career as a pilot if VFR instruction is not an option for me?

Sooooo, just so I’m clear, you can’t pass your CFI but you think you can pass airline training?As someone who’s been on airline interview panels seeing a CFII with no CFI AND multiple busts would be a HUGE red flag and a thumbs down for me. Not just got the airlines but any flying job.

Adam

I understand, I appreciate the advise. Out of pure curiosity, how does CFII without CFI-A have pose a red flag? I understand it’s unusual, but how it compare to an applicant without any instructor ratings who build there time some other way?

Leo,

I don’t have the actual stats, but I’m thinking well into the 90% of pilots who have their CFIIs have their CFI-A as well (in your own words "extremely rare). When you see something unusual it begs an inquiry and I’m sorry but the story you have isn’t a good one.

Adam

Leo,

I think this will be a major issue for you and will have a significant impact on your career.

I would look into jobs like banner towing, sky divers, etc.

Chris

Leo,

Pick me, pick me! I love statistics and numbers. 76.2% of applicants in 2022 have received their original CFI, while the number increases to 88.7% for additional CFI certificates! See link below for spreadsheet data from the FAA directly.

See the link below

It’s not the without a “CFI-A” that poses a red flag in itself, it’s that you are continuously failing checkrides, not able to make it past the oral exam. How can you be certain instructing is for you if you can’t make it past the oral? As Chris said, I think finding another P119.1e gig is the way to go here while you’re up and not beating on your record too bad.

Brady

Leo,

The fact that you’re having so much trouble having the knowledge to pass the oral as well as the skills in the plane to be an instructor, I’d cut your losses and move on. Even if you one day got through it and passed, would you ever really feel comfortable on your own with a new student? It’s a HUGE responsibility and some people just aren’t cut out for it.

Build your time banner towing, pipeline, aerial photography and work on your study techniques. Airline training will be exponentially harder than a CFI.

Hannah