Changes within ATP Program

Hey everyone, I was recently talking with some ATP students and they said there have been some changes to the curriculum. Can anyone here inform me what they are? I was trying to look on the website but had trouble founding specifics. They mentioned the program will be completing single engine ratings first and the multi has been reduced to 25 hours from 50. Again this is just word of mouth so I’m just wondering if anyone knows what the set changes are (not that it truly affects anything, just curious!) thanks.

Kimberely,

The program has changed as you describe it. This is because multi time is not needed like it used to be and by switching to more single engine time, price increases can be avoided. The end state is still the same though.

Chris

You also take your commercial checkride in a single engine airplane now, instead of doing it in the Seminole (at least my location used to do the Seminole for your commercial checkride)

Zackary,

You’ll still take a CFI checkride in a Seminole you’ll just do it as an add-on vs the other way around.

Adam

Oh my instructor said you take your COMM in the archer/Cessna, then you do the ME add-on in the Seminole? Is that correct?

Yes that’s what I meant. You’ll take the INITIAL CFI in the SE, THEN the add-on in the Seminole so there’s still a checkride in the Seminole.

Adam

This is the new order for training/check rides:

1. Private SE
  2. Instrument SE
  3. Commercial SE
  4. CFI SE
  5. CFI-Instrument SE
  6. Commercial ME (add-on to your commercial certificate)
  7. CFI ME (add-on to your CFI certificate)

All SE training and check rides being in the Archer/Skyhawk depending on what your location has, and then the Seminole for the two ME ratings.

1 Like

Curious how locations that don’t have Archers complete an initial COMM SE?

Jordan,

They’ll do it in a C172. Why would they need an Archer?

Adam

There are plenty of G1000 Cessnas with autopilots.

Chris

I was under the impression that your initial commercial had to be in a complex airplane. And the 172 is not retractable gear. That might’ve changed, but back when I was a student, all of our single engine program students had to do their commercial in the Arrow at CRG to fulfill this for their CSEL. meant Arrow in the last post

Ah I see. I did make it seem like there wasn’t a Seminole checkride. I thought I had included that originally, my bad!

Jordan,

Not anymore. As of June, 2018, the FAA has approved Technologically Advanced Aircraft to replace the complex airplane requirement. Autopilot and glass PFD/MFD meets the TAA requirement.

Tory

1 Like

Thanks Tory! That makes sense. Figured it must have changed if ATP had switched it around.

1 Like