Changing industry

Hello,

My name is Nate, I also have a big passion for aviation, like most aviators we had a desire when we were young to become a pilot my question for you is “will my job will be replaced by computers” I know that this is hard to predict but what is your input?

Thanks for your time

Well Nate,
Eventually maybe. So far nearly all jets have autopilot so that’s a form of “getting replaced by computers.” However, it will take decades to ever replace humans entirely in the cockpit. Systems are smart, very smart but still contain errors. Everything the FAA does is to mitigate risk. We’ve done better at getting rid of human error with the use of autopilot but pilots are only as good as their knowledge of the system. It would take years and years of testing to ever get approval for an “unmanned” airplane. The risk to safety if it malfunctions plus the public perception of having the plane completely automated is a huge hurtle. I’m sure it’s coming, but highly doubt it will be during your career.

-Hannah

Nate,

There have been many threads on the subject but as Hannah said while it may eventually happen, it won’t be anytime soon. Modern aircraft are highly automated but there are always glitches (think 737 Max). Further while something like autoland exists there are literally thousands of planes flying worldwide that still don’t have that technology. It’s simply too expensive and there’s nothing wrong with the planes that don’t have it. It took approx 40yrs to eliminate the Flight Engineer position after they removed the panel from the first few aircraft.

Short answer it will happen but not something I’d be worried about during your career.

Adam

Nate,

I am not remotely worried about this. Computer technology is far from perfect and while it can follow a set of commands, it lacks the intelligence to make decisions. Furthermore, Tesla hasn’t exactly scored home runs with their driver-less cars and trains, which operate in one dimension, still are not automated. When the Port Authority can get the Air Train at EWR airport to work correctly, I will start to worry. So far it has been at least 15 years since the Airtrain debuted and it still does not work right.

Chris

3 Likes