Chris, question

Chris, I was unable to find a PM feature on here while browsing so thought I’d ask here. I know I had read you have had some foot surgery done before and I’m curious how long it might of had you out of work.

I’m currently in PPL training, but am some point down the road am going to need surgery for a broken bone I had years ago. I’m wondering if it’s best to get it done after I finish my PPL as I know I’ll be out at least 2-4 months, or wait until I finish my IR and then go from there. Odd question I know, just don’t want to lose all the knowledge I’ve gained so far and I at least want to complete my PPL and not have to start all over.

Anthony,

I have had several surgeries on my foot, the longest I was out of work was five months. Keep I mind that every surgery is different and your results may vary.

Your are in a nit of a tough situation here. I would probably recommend doing it after your PPL and before starting on your instrument work. Just make sure to continue to study while you are not flying.

Chris

Thank you Chris. I know I’m not an ATP student, but I’d love to track my progress on here. I’m a few hours into my PPL and loving it. Also, what type aircraft does United usually fly into Guam. Having done many TDYs there with the military, I think that would be a dream place to at if I ever got a chance to work for United.

Anthony,

I think it is mostly 737s into Guam, with the occasional 767. It is not nearly as big of market for us as it used to be.

Chris

Hey, I just finished an island flying job in the Northern Marianas Islands (Saipan, Tinian, Rota, Guam). I flew cargo to Guam very frequently. The aircraft that United operates out of there is mainly there island hopper 737s, and an occasional 777 that usually comes in via Hawaii. There could be more that swing by, but I really only saw a lot of 737s and 777.

-Derek

Derek,

You probably have a far better feel for United’s operation out there that I do. That legacy Air Micronesia world is basically run as its own airline.

Chris

That’s the truth haha. But on, let’s say a “busy day” in Guam, I remember seeing maybe 5-6 737s (flying to Japan/other small islands) and no more than 2 777s.

No buses, no 756, no 787. (Again I could be wrong but this is all I saw the multiple times I was there).