Collecting unemployment while training (California)

Hi,

I was recently laid off and I am collecting unemployment insurance. I did see that ATP flight school is an accredited institution. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,
David

David,

Not sure where you saw that ATP was an accredited institution but it is not.

Adam

Got this link from the California EDD website and searched “ATP”

I got experience in this…

California has a Postsecondary accrediting body for career and vocational schools… security guard “academies”, police academies, it certification, hair cutting schools and some flight schools fall into this. As long as ATP is in that list, you’re good. This is pretty minimal accreditation (more for getting money than educational prowess) because when most people think of accreditation, they think of 4-year colleges/unis that are accredited by bodies like Western Association of Schools/Colleges.

Back in the stone ages, I was collecting California Unemployment and went through the local sheriffs academy. Completely legit. Double bonus, academy was connected to a california community colleges and there is a Board of Governors grant fee waiver that waived the fees.

I also taught Cisco courses at a rinky dink IT school and took care of the California paperwork… never again.

David,

California’s rules might be different than Federal rules. You will need to check with the appropriate people in California.

Chris

Fair enough. Have at it.

Adam