College for Flight School

I know this is an ATP site but you guys are really helpful. I plan to get my restricted ATP from my college that I attend. Do you know anybody that has done this and are they really successful with it? Does it hurt that I won’t have the full 1500 hours becuase it seems like many regionals have programs that take in pilots like me and make them FO. thanks!

Brennan,

There are many pilots who go the college/R-ATP route. While not the most efficient or quickest route it does work. Just to clarify you will not be getting your R-ATP from your college. Even with the degree program’s reduced hour requirement you still need to build the required 1,000hrs and only after that can you complete the R-ATP/CTP. The good news is the Regional that hires you will complete the R-ATP/CTP as part of your newhire training. Again that’s only after you complete all your flight training at the university and then find an entry level time building position (typically flight instruction) and build the time.

Adam

I guess I am confused then. How does a graduate of a college go straight to regionals after graduation. The school, Ohio a state University, has connections with SkyWest so does the graduate go to SkyWest and as their training they complete the R-ATP?

Brennan,

I’m afraid you are a little confused. You cannot go straight from university to a Regional. As I said, you’ll graduate with the required licenses and ratings to get a job as a pilot, but you won’t have the required minimum flight time to obtain your ATP (or even your R-ATP) which is required to fly for an airline. This is from OSU’s website:
A professional Pilot Specialization can be added to any of the above majors and provides students a way to earn their Commercial Pilot Certificate with an Instrument Rating, and then gives them the option to continue for either the Certified Flight Instructor or Multi-Engine Rating prior to graduation. Again what that means is prior to graduating you’ll get the last pieces you’ll need to again BUILD the required min flight time you NEED to get hired at a Regional. If you look at the Skywest Cadet info on the OSU website they also say completing your training WILL NOT qualify you to be hired as an FO. There’s no way it could. The FARs (Federal Aviation Regulations) say you can’t.

Adam

Brennan,

Unless you find a way to build the 1,000 hours while in school, you will need to find a way to build the time after you complete college. Most people do this via flight instructing. People typically do not go straight to the airlines from college.

Chris

Would this be hard to find opportunity? Would the college help me find opportunities?

Brennan,

You will need to speak to the college about how they assist in career advancement after graduation.

Chris

Brennan i’m in the same situation kind of, Doing a career change and im trying to decide between BGSU flight program or ATP. I already have an associates degree, and going to BGSU im looking at another 2 years to finish my licenses and rest of the degree in FTO.

I lean towards atp but idk what i will do about my bills and living expenses.

Brennan,

As Chris said you’d really have to ask the university although I did spend some time browsing their website and saw no references to any job placement assistance? It also depends on where you’re located. If there are any smaller airports in the area and if they’re hiring. Keep in mind the situation today might not be the same 4yrs from now.

As a side note sometimes when people come on this forum they say we’re just a big ad for ATP. That couldn’t be further from the truth but the reality is all the mentors here trained with ATP and had a very positive experience. One of the most important aspects is that ATP GUARANTEES ALL successful students a flight instructor position. For many pilots this can make the difference between moving forward and getting to a Regional or having your entire career stall (pun intended). There’s a reason why ATP instructors not only get hired but the Regionals will actually pay them Tuition Reimbursement before they ever step foot in the airlines door. It’s because they know with some certainty that ATPs instructors not only are building time but doing so constantly and will be ready to start in a fairly reasonable and predictable period of time. Many university grads do have issues finding positions and if they do they’re often part time and the hours are inconsistent. Case in point I recently met a man who graduated from a well known aviation university, he was working for the TSA and had given up on being a pilot.

Adam