A&P to ATP

I got my A&P license a little less than 2 years ago. Been working on airplanes for a regional airline for about a year and a half. Before that I overhauled turboshaft engines for 4 years in the Marine Corps.

Many of the guys I work with now have a bunch of health issues. I am also tired of hearing about how we as mechanics keep getting shafted while pilots keep getting rewarded.

There has been a mass exodus of mechanics since I started. We have lost over 50 guys (mostly to the majors). To put it in perspective, I was number 92 out of 92 when I hit the floor. We are down to 70. That is across 3 shifts. Biggest regional in the nation at the biggest MX base. Crazy thing is, we are one of the better staffed bases.

Not the point of this post.

I’ve never been the type to complain about my circumstances. I see my circumstances as a direct result of my decisions. That being said, I decided to become a pilot. I’m gonna start my flight training in January if all goes well. I’m also gonna get my bachelors degree.

This leads to my question. I read somewhere that I should get a degree in something other than aviation. Right now, I have my AAS in aviation maintenance. To qualify for the restricted ATP, does it matter what I get my bachelors in?

Ben,

Unless you go to an aviation college that is approved by the FAA and get an aviation degree, you will not be able to qualify for the restricted ATP. That being said, that programs in my opinion overhyped anyways and really saves no time in getting to the airlines. I would be more focused on getting your pilots licenses, building your flight time and getting to a regional airline. Once you are at the regional you can begin to work on your college degree.

Chris

1 Like

Ben,

If you’re looking at going to a college aviation program to qualify for the R-ATP, you’re going to have to major in one of their aviation programs. That leaves you without a back up career in case of future aviation furloughs.

The reduced hour requirement is enticing but in order to qualify for it, you’re spending a ton of money on the degree and flight training and burning four years to do it. Then once you graduate you’re still left to build time to 1000 hours which could take an 6 months to a year.

We recommend instead of this path, going to an expedited program like ATP. Get all your ratings in 7 months and be qualified for the 1500 ATP within 2 years. Then while you’re at the regionals, work on getting your degree online.

Hannah

1 Like

Chris,

Thanks for the quick response. I’m going to get my medical scheduled. Hopefully I can start my flight training in January. I will hold off on my degree until then. Thanks again for the info!

Ben

Hannah,

Does the flight school that you attend help when it comes to getting a job? There is an ATP location that’s kind of far from me, but I’m willing to do it if it will make a big impact on future job opportunities. The local flight school is 5 minutes from the MX hangar that I work at. They told me from 0 to CFI takes 10 months to a year. Does prestige of school hold extra weight?

Ben

Ben,

Flight school is flight school. Attending a flight school like ATP has its advantages, for example; What flight school can you name off the tip of your tongue that have airline partnerships? ATP has an reputable relationship with many airlines and charter/corporate companies:

One of the most common ways of building time toward your 1,500 is being a flight instructor. If you attend ATP, you have an opportunity to instructor for them given that you’re in good standing and completed the program successfully.

I would like to point out that however your local flight school said 0 to 10 months CFI, take in account how many planes, instructors and maintenance personnel they have. If someone gets sick or something happens to the plane and it’s down for an extended period of time you may be delayed. A school like ATP or similar larger-scale school has dedicated planes and bases around to service the planes you fly so that you remain on time. Just something to add to the train of thought.

Brady

Brady,

Thanks for the reply. I’m gonna get all my ducks in a row and give ATP a shot.

Ben

Ben,

I’m going to strongly disagree with Brady here, flight school is most certainly not flight school.

Like anything else, there are good ones and bad ones. While the benefits of the reputation or prestige of a school can be debated, the results cannot. The question shouldn’t be which flight school will be most impressive or has the most airline relationships, but WHY that school has that reputation and relationships.

Long before the pilot shortage (back when you needed more that a pulse and a license to get hired) ATP pioneered the airline relationships and their grads (like me) were able to get preferential interviews with reduced minimums (when that was legal). The reason was because the airlines recognized that ATP grads had demonstrated their ability to be successful in an accelerated program modeled after the airlines. Getting hired these days is easy, getting through airline training is not and while the Regionals are hiring more pilots than ever, they’re also experiencing higher failure rates than ever. ATP had over 1200 pilots hired by the airlines in the last 12mos alone and the vast majority of those will do well because they have already experienced a good taste of what’s ahead.

Your local flight school told you 10 mos to a year. The airlines will not. You will be done in a finite amount of time or you will go home. Just like ATP.

Adam

2 Likes

Adam,

Thanks for your reply. Your comment reinforced my decision to go to ATP. I’m gonna have to take leave from work. Luckily, the regional airline that I work for offers leave for such things. That coupled with the reimbursements and the pilot pathway program. It’s all looking up. I was gonna try do both, but from what I’ve seen, ATP is like another job. I’m gonna get the loan, it shouldn’t be a problem. Once I get there, I’m gonna see about a mechanic position as well, since I do have my Mechanic licenses along with over 5 years of maintenance experience. Thanks again for the information.

Ben

Glad to help Ben.

Curious what you mean by “Once I get there, I’m gonna see about a mechanic position”?

Adam

Adam,

I have my Airframe and Powerplant licenses through the FAA. I’m going to inquire about a job on the side as an aircraft mechanic. Maybe I could do maintenance/test flights for them when I’m not studying and in class. Who better to work on the airplanes than someone who is flying them? I don’t know if it is possible, but I was thinking it could be a way to make extra money and build my flight time at once.

Ben

Ben,

That’s what I was afraid of.

I can tell you ATP will absolutely not be hiring you as a mechanic while you’re a student.

I don’t think you understood what I was saying in my other post. ATP created a program to train pilots for the airlines and modeled their program after actual airline training. It’s HIGHLY accelerated and requires 100% of your time and attention (just like the airlines). If you’re not trained or studying you should be eating and sleeping and that’s it. While ATP can’t stop you from working they highly discourage it and must certainly won’t be encouraging it by giving you a job.

Again while ATP can’t stop you from working if you do and fall behind or bust checkrides there will be no redos or “sorry I thought it would be ok”. While I understand you’d like to make some money, tightening your belt is a whole lot better than investing $90k plus and washing out.

Adam

Adam,

Copy that. I’m serious about doing this and if that’s what it takes I’m going to do it. I really don’t need to work, but I was thinking it wouldn’t hurt to make a little extra money. My current lease is up in February. A buddy of mine lives a few minutes from the facility. He’s gonna let me stay there for cheap. I have no debt. I’ve never been without a job since I was 16. So student pilot is gonna be it. I really appreciate the advice!

Ben