Regional Pilots is a R-ATP worth it?

Hey all! Im about to start at ATP with my private in about a week. Im 19 and was looking into doing an online college (after I finish up ATP and am instructing) to receive my associates in something aviation related so I can be eligible for hire at 1250 hours. First of all, do all regionals accept R-ATP’S? Secondly, do you think it is worth it since I may be able to get 1500 before I turn 23? Thanks for the help in advance!! :slight_smile:

Sophia,

If I’m not mistaken, in order for you to qualify for the reduced hours for an R-ATP, you have to have completed your flight training through an approved 141 school. You wouldn’t be able to do your training at ATP, and then complete an aviation related degree to qualify for 1250 or 1000 hours. To answer your question, yes regionals do hire people who qualify for R-ATP’s. There are two typical ways your ATP is restricted: You went to an accredited university and qualify for 1250/1000 hours or you don’t fully meet the full FAA ATP requirements yet. You either don’t fully meet the specific flight time requirements (XC, night flight, etc…) or you aren’t 23 yet but you are at least 21. You would still be required to have 1500 hours of total flight time. There were people in my Indoc class who were still under 23 and there were several people who have restrictions on their ATP. It just means they can’t operate as PIC (upgrade to captain), until they remove the restriction. You can find some articles/FAA resources online that will specify exactly how to qualify for a R-ATP.

Roscoe

1 Like

Gotcha, makes more sense to me now! Thanks :blush:

1 Like

Sophia,

Roscoe is 100% correct. Getting a 2 or even a 4yr degree will not lower the hourly requirement. The only way to do that is to do your flight training as part of an FAA approved Part 141 degree program.

The good news is yes all the Regionals accept R-ATPs, in fact they will do the training as part of your newhire program.

I would still encourage you to get a 4yr degree at some point as the Majors all still prefer it and it’s always good to have a backup.

Adam