Post military

Hi my name is Jordan. I’m currently in the Marine Corps but not as a pilot. My question is will my military background show the same commitment to the Majors as a 4 year degree? Or would I need to pursue a degree of my own still whether it’s a associates or bachelors degree? I will be getting out of the military in a year and this is something I’ve wanted to do I just couldn’t find the right people to answer the questions I have.

Jordan,

While we all sincerely appreciate your service and it obviously demonstrates a great deal of commitment it’s not degree. You see right or wrong, when you fill out the application for a Major there’s a box that asks "4 Year Degree? and regardless of your other accomplishments by checking NO you go into the no degree pile. While things may change in the future if you aspire to fly for a Major, a 4yr degree is what they want.

Adam

Adam thanks for the response that’s what I was figuring and I just need to make sure I’m on the right track before I make any drastic decisions. I appreciate the help!

So if I get a bachelors degree and then do all my hours obviously years down the road, will my chances of hire be more high due to the degree and military? im basically wondering if it’ll put me above just regular guys with degrees.

And also can my degree be in anything? I see people who say it can while others say you need to have something along the line of aeronautical engineering or something.

Your degree can be in anything, as long as it is a four year degree.

Jordan,

Your military time will not advance yo beyond “regular guys”. The airlines are hiring pilots, not soldiers, they are going to be looking for flight time, flight experience and a college degree.

Chris

Jordan,

While the majors will respect your military service, they will almost all require you to have a bachelor’s degree.

Chris