Commercial Rating Question

Hello everyone! I am working on becoming an Airline Pilot. I have my Private Pilot with Instruments Rating currently with 160 hours of total flight time. I am looking to complete my Commercial Certificate and I am wondering if I start my Commercial training with ATP do I need to go back to instruments or would I be able to start right away with Commercial maneuvers! Seeking any information for the best possible outcome. Please let me know good thoughts.

-C

Cody,

ATP has 2 programs. One starts from zero time and the other from your PPL. If you were to start with ATP yes you’d have to repeat the Instrument training (sans checkride).

Adam

Thanks for the reply.
Stuck between completing the commercial on my own or selecting a program to go with. Not sure which is best. Didn’t have the financing at the time to fully go with ATP do I started on my own at a local place in Orlando, FL. SPENT a lot of money already. Was hoping the instruments I already have wouldn’t go down the drain, but want can we do! lol. If you were in my situation. What would you consider. I have applied for several programs already (since Thursday) waiting to hear back from them. I believe ATP is the cheapest option even if I need to repeat the instruments.

-C

I see that you’re out in Hawaii. I reached out to Mokulele airlines also…waiting for a reply. Are you familiar?!

Cody,

It seems like you are far enough along that restarting with a program like ATP’s really does not make sense for you. Regardless, if you do start over, your flight time of course stays wit you and will help you with reaching the 1,500 hour mark.

Chris

Cody,

Totally your call and not an easy one. You don’t mention how long it took to get where you are and that’s a consideration. Obviously the sooner you get done the better so if you’ve been progressing nicely on your own than I’d just continue with that but if not I’d consider going with ATP. Flight hours are never lost and additional training is never a waste.

You say you reached out to Mokolele but they of course require a Commercial license and I believe 500hrs. Good operation but getting there is alot of who you know and from what I’ve heard they don’t fly much since they have many pilots.

Adam